VMware Cloud Community
vams
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to migrate a VM during ESX upgradation...

Hi All,

We are upgrading ESX server 3.0.2/3 to 3.5 ESX server. During this we use to migrate all the VM from host and then upgrade the patches and update on the host.

But today i have faced an issue with the VM, i am unable to migrate (manual HOT migration) VM from 3.0.3 ESX host to 3.5 as well as 3.0.3 ESX host. I have HP Proliant DL585 G2 hardware and Dual Core AMD Opteron 8220 processor on both the host source and destination.

During migration of VM it gets timed out and given the following error.

"Migration will cause the virtual machine's configuration to be modified, to preserve the CPU feature requirements for its guest OS"

I searched over the net and found that if the hardware or processor are different then these issue may occured or it may give only warnings but not affect the VM or VMotion and also the performance of the VM. But in this case the server model and the CPU both are same and also the ESX server version is also same. As i said above i hv tried on both the ESX versions (3.0.3 and 3.5) on the same DL585 G2 and AMD 8220 CPU. Also it may caused if the VMtools are not updated on the VM (here updated).

On this my questions are....

How to resolve this issue?

And howcome it occurs with same server model and same CPU on the both servers?

thanks,

Prasanna

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

The message in question should NOT stop you from a vmotioning your guest, it's just a warning that can be safely ignored.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003770

0 Kudos
vams
Contributor
Contributor

Yes agree, i already migrated some VMs with this warning, refered this KB article earlier for the same.

But still i am unable migrate this VM manually, its showing 10% status and then giving "Operation timed out" and the task get cancled automatically.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

if you can power down the VM, edit settings, options tab, CPUID Mask, Advanced, Reset all to default. Once done, power the VM back on and try again.

Otherwise a 10% failure can mean so much more

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003734

0 Kudos