VMware Cloud Community
schoeck
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading 5.0 469512 to 5.0 Update 2

Hi all,

I'm about to upgrade a ProLiant to the Version above. Since I'm onsite and downtime is planned anyway, I was just going to use the HP customized ISO on cd (the current Version is not HP-customized). I presume I can re-install on the OS partition and retain all existing datastores/VMs without migrating them first and copying them back?

This site has a single host, connected to a remote vCenter, with Server (share) data already backed-up to a local NAS.

Edit: to clarify, all datastores/VMs are on the internal 6-disk RAID5 Array in the Server itself.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
manu1950
Contributor
Contributor

If it is a single host, the best method is to use the esxcli software profile update. It will retain all your data.

schoeck
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

Next question: we've installed individual VIBs with esxcli before, but to update to a HP-customized Version 5 Update 2, can I download a single package anywhere, or is it a case of downloading each bundle and installing them one after the other?

Through Update Manager we get a VMware standard Update 2, and from HP a full ISO, or single updates?

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/software/vmware-esxi/offline_bundle.html

0 Kudos