VMware Cloud Community
timHorton
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA Install inconsistent: Deploying First External PSC instance via CLI Error: invalid credentials

I am getting access, SSH works when I try it and the password works without issue outside of the CLI.  Are these errors simply network congestion or something else?

This is a lab install on a fresh installation of ESXi v6.5.0

My CLI installation verifies OK with the exception of the manifest not being able to validate.

I am getting 2 errors, the first error repeated many times in the log until the second error takes over and then repeats itself.

The console is stuck at "installing services.

I have left the install running over the weekend without it resolving.

Then a few more times for an hour without success.

Twice it worked without issue.

2017-12-11 18:09:13,035 - vCSACliInstallLogger - TRACE - Retrying file download ...

2017-12-11 18:09:18,150 - vCSACliInstallLogger - TRACE - Cannot download file /var/log/firstboot/rpmInstall.json from 192.168.9.21. Got error: Failed to download file from guest with error '(vim.fault.GuestOperationsUnavailable) {

dynamicType = <unset>,

dynamicProperty = (vmodl.DynamicProperty) [],

msg = 'The guest operations agent could not be contacted.',

faultCause = <unset>,

faultMessage = (vmodl.LocalizableMessage) []

}'

2017-12-11 18:09:18,150 - vCSACliInstallLogger - TRACE - Retrying file download ...

2017-12-11 18:09:25,147 - vCSACliInstallLogger - TRACE - Cannot download file /var/log/firstboot/rpmInstall.json from 192.168.9.21. Got error: Failed to download file from guest with error '(vim.fault.InvalidGuestLogin) {

dynamicType = <unset>,

dynamicProperty = (vmodl.DynamicProperty) [],

msg = 'Failed to authenticate with the guest operating system using the supplied credentials.',

faultCause = <unset>,

faultMessage = (vmodl.LocalizableMessage) []

}'

I am using:

-Template 2.3

-ESXi install media

-VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.5.0-5310538.x86_64-DellEMC_Customized-A05.iso

-VCSA media VMware-VCSA-all-6.5.0-5973321.iso

-template: PSC_first_instance_on_ESXi.json

I have deployed via the GUI without issue and once Via the CLI but this may have had an error and I had to hit "esc" or "enter" to have it continue.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Grrmmll
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

In fact this error message is not helpfull at all.

I had this issue a few times before finding a solution.

I think you are trying to deploy your appliance on an esxi that is in a DRS cluster.

You start deploying the appliance and the esxi then DRS will move it to another one in the cluster.

Then the CLI install will try to access some files on the appliance through the VMTools (with something like the Invoke-script available in powercli)

The install will launch this command thinking you are still on the previous esxi, will not find your appliance there, and error.

With an error message

Put DRS on manual for the cluster where you want to deploy your appliance.

(If you are not in a cluster, well...)

0 Kudos