VMware Cloud Community
flube
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter migration

I need to migrate my vCenter Server to a new host due to hardware upgrades. What's the best approach to ensure a smooth migration? How can I retain all the configurations, permissions, and historical data?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
filipe_dias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

To ensure a smooth migration of vCenter Server to a new host with all configurations, permissions, and historical data retained, follow these steps:

Perform a full backup of the existing vCenter Server and its associated databases.

Set up the new host with the same vCenter Server version and compatible hardware.

Install vCenter Server on the new host and connect it to the existing databases during installation.

Verify the migration by logging into the new vCenter Server to confirm that all configurations, permissions, and historical data are intact.

Test critical functionalities and ensure proper connectivity with ESXi hosts, VMs, and other services.

If necessary, update DNS records and any custom configurations pointing to the old vCenter Server.

By following these steps, you can smoothly migrate your vCenter Server to a new host while preserving all essential settings and data. Remember to perform the migration during a maintenance window to minimize potential disruptions.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
2 Replies
filipe_dias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

To ensure a smooth migration of vCenter Server to a new host with all configurations, permissions, and historical data retained, follow these steps:

Perform a full backup of the existing vCenter Server and its associated databases.

Set up the new host with the same vCenter Server version and compatible hardware.

Install vCenter Server on the new host and connect it to the existing databases during installation.

Verify the migration by logging into the new vCenter Server to confirm that all configurations, permissions, and historical data are intact.

Test critical functionalities and ensure proper connectivity with ESXi hosts, VMs, and other services.

If necessary, update DNS records and any custom configurations pointing to the old vCenter Server.

By following these steps, you can smoothly migrate your vCenter Server to a new host while preserving all essential settings and data. Remember to perform the migration during a maintenance window to minimize potential disruptions.

Tags (1)
flube
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks! i will try that!