VMware Cloud Community
murphyslaw1978b
Contributor
Contributor

Are there any Cisco networking gurus out there? Are VMware network switches dumb?

I've been trying to find out more about ESXi networking - specifically how to configure switches and what can really be accomplished in the command-line, gui or otherwise.  But all I'm finding are some really basic configs and commands, such as: line speed, duplex, and then of course, there are all the features such as IO control, security, teaming, etc.  But I want to know if there is a way to configure things like the port channel config, buffer sizes, QoS, or any of the things that a typical Cisco Catalyst switch can do...Here's what I know so far:

esxcfg-nics, esxcfg-vswitch -b, esxcfg-vswitch -B, esxcfg-vmknic - l, esxcli network connection list, esxcli network neighbor list, vicfg-vswitch -m

So I'm thinking that ESXi 4/5 networking is really just an incredibly basic layer-2 switch that really cannot be configured or tweaked beyond what I mentioned above.  Are there any Cisco CCNP gurus out there that know VMware networking?  What am i missing?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The standard virtual switch is pretty simple - as you described simple layer 2 switching. More advance capabilities are provided through Distributed vortual switches including Cisco Nexus 1000v -

Also moved thread to more approriate Forum

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
murphyslaw1978b
Contributor
Contributor

I guess that's the deal, huh?  And when I say "dumb," that's both a good thing and a bad thing.  Layer 2 switching doesn't necessaily need any fancy features as long as it works and works well.  That said, in looking at the capabilities of a Nexus 5500-series switch, it's nice to see backplane capabilities such as 1.08Tb of throughput and 2.5us of switch speed, but also the ability to do LACP, vpc, etc.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

If you do want I higher level of control and view into the virtual switching I would take a look at the virtual Nexus 1000v switch (http://tinyurl.com/3nxsrvf) - it will require Enetrprise Plus licensing for the vSphere license -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
murphyslaw1978b
Contributor
Contributor

That's what I've heard, but I've also heard that the 1000v is kind of a pain.  For example, I was told that you have to have a distributed switch setup before the 1000v is in place.  And in setting up the 1000v, it requires an appliance VEM for each host.  But you're right, the 1000v would be exactly the kind of config that I am asking for.  I'm just wondering if there is anything else that the standard switches can do that I'm not finiding online.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Your understanding of the standard virtual switch is right on target -

0 Kudos