VMware Cloud Community
Alextec_Consult
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Configuring WOL on the Dual Port NIC

Hi,

I have Intel Pro/1000 MT Dual Port Server Card in ESX 4i host.

Problem is that I can't do DPM as only one port shows Wake On Lan as YES.

When I try to put the host in StandBy mode I get error from the VCenter telling me that host can't do DPM. All is working fine if only one port is configured

How do you enable WOL on second Nic port?

Ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Some multi-port NICs don't support WoL on all ports. Apparently this NIC is one of them. This is a hardware limitation and so we can't do anything about it in software -- that is, you can't enable WoL on the second port if the hardware doesn't support it. What you need to do is have the vmotion nic be backed by the physical nic that supports WOL. The wake packets are sent to the pnic that is backing the vmotion interface.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Some multi-port NICs don't support WoL on all ports. Apparently this NIC is one of them. This is a hardware limitation and so we can't do anything about it in software -- that is, you can't enable WoL on the second port if the hardware doesn't support it. What you need to do is have the vmotion nic be backed by the physical nic that supports WOL. The wake packets are sent to the pnic that is backing the vmotion interface.

0 Kudos
Alextec_Consult
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You were right.

I switched the vSwitches and Ports and all is fine.

Thanks.

0 Kudos