VMware Cloud Community
arh_nroe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How force a vm to use a static ip

HI

i'm using esxi 5.1 and vsphere client 5.1

i wana foce every vm use one static ip and can't change or add another one....because every vm can find out another ip in their ip range easily and add it.

thank in advance.

6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - Really this is going to depend on the operating system of the VM - you can assign a fixed IP to the VM through the OS configuration of the virtual NIC and it is the through the security of the OS that will prevent users form changing the IP address.

Also you cannot assign a single IP address to mutltiple network devices as this will cause a conflict on the network so each VM will have to a unique IP address if they are to be powered on at the same time -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
arh_nroe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for your reply

1- i give administrator access to my virtual machines so they can change os security.

have we any way from vmware networking or mac address or other options to unable VMs to change their ip addresses and force them to use one static ip address?

2- i mean how we can prevent from one vm to add more than one ip address,not assing one ip address for multi VM.

ip addresses are almost in a distinct range and someone can find out other IPs base on itself ip...and occupy other ip addresses..i mean assign 2-3 or more IPs for one vm..how can i prevent of this robbery?

thans for your attention.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

There is nothing within VMware  that will do what you are looking for since all this is set at VM Operating System level and as long as you let users access with Administrator access they can change anything.

A possibility are you using Active Directory? If you are you should be able to set up Group Policies that will users control over security but not let them change or access networking settings

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
arh_nroe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

no i'm not. sorry i'm Beginner. what should i do? shoud i create a vm as a server at first? if yes how many RAM or CPU i have to assign at least?

do u know any education article for beginners?

thanks again.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe this will help - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aK4dK1BgAg

I am also going to move this to a more appropriate forum

0 Kudos
arh_nroe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks so much

but it was for workstation not vsphere client

one more question what is "directrory services configuration" menu in authentication services properties?

and what is domain in this menu? what should i type to join?

was your mean of Active Directory this menu?

thanks again and exuse me for primitive questions Smiley Happy

0 Kudos