VMware Cloud Community
CarlosCabral
Contributor
Contributor

IP assigning issues

Hello there,

I'm using ESXi in a single server and I would like to have a better understanding about the IP addresses of the VM's in the host.

The host IP was set by a DHCP service (it's set to 10.20.252.172), the subnet it's in is 10.20.0.0/16. Now, about the VM's on the host. How do they get their IP addresses? Is the same DHCP service used by the host responsible for assigning their IP addresses? Will they necessarilly be in the same subnet (10.20.0.0/16) of the host? Isolation among then is only achievable through VLAN id's within the vSwitch? Can two VM's, each one with their own isolated port group, have the same IP address?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Carlos,

Welcome to the forums.

ESXi doesn't have a DHCP service like Workstation or Player. It relies on an external server.

VMs are not necessarily in the same subnet as the host. But in case they need to discuss with other machines on the real network, one of the physical cards needs to be connected to this network.

You can start by having a look at this article.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

I'm using ESXi in a single server and I would like to have a better understanding about the IP addresses of the VM's in the host.

So we're looking just at the guests....

The host IP was set by a DHCP service (it's set to 10.20.252.172), the subnet it's in is 10.20.0.0/16.

If you talk about the ESXi host I would recommend to give it a fixed IP.

Now, about the VM's on the host. How do they get their IP addresses?

Just like any physical machien would. You can use DHCP if you like but you need an DHCP server somewhere. That can be located on the physical LAN or it can be a virtual machine connected to the physical LAN. YOu also can give each host a fixed IP (which I would recommend for servers´in general).

Is the same DHCP service used by the host responsible for assigning their IP addresses?

Yes, if the host and the guests are connected to the sam IP sugbnet.

Will they necessarilly be in the same subnet (10.20.0.0/16) of the host?

That is up to you. If you have only one physcial NIC that will be the case, but if you have more physical NIC's you might connect them to different physical LAN's and IP subnets.

Isolation among then is only achievable through VLAN id's within the vSwitch?

Not necessarily. You also can create more vSwitches to seoarate them. But that requires more than one physical network link in the host.

If you run VLAN's in your physical switch you can separate them via the same VLAN's in the virtual switch.

Can two VM's, each one with their own isolated port group, have the same IP address?

Two hosts should never have the sam IP address. BTW, that would lead to an error as soon as they see each other.

If you run two isolated IP networks you can have two hosts with the sam IP address, but why would you want to do that. Thatshouts for trouble.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos