VMware Cloud Community
M1nd3
Contributor
Contributor

Network configuration for VM with windows server 2019

Hello, I am having issues to set up Ethernet connection on the virtual machine with windows server 2019 installed on it. Basically i am creating new VM, installing server 2019, installing VMware tools, after that tried adding DNS, DHCP, configure remote access, Forward revers PTR A and lots of other stuff. But still cant get it to connect to Ethernet. If i run diagnostics it says router not configured or cable broken. I tried to configure NAT but on set up it said i have no available adapters. I know it should work because i had it working but accidentally deleted VM with the center server, even though i just wanted to remove it, not delete entirely.

Not sure if that's a problem but i am trying to set up vSAN, so on center server i only have single adapter available, and its set to DSswitch, which looks after uplinks.

If anyone has any ideas, or maybe an easy to follow link on how to get Ethernet connected on VM it would be great. Thank you for your time and help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What type of network adapter is in the VM settings? Is it set to be connected to a VM port group?

What does Device Manager in Windows show for network adapters?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
M1nd3
Contributor
Contributor

In VM settings I selected vmxnet3 adapter. In network connections at the moment i have to networks available. Ethernet0 (Intel gigabit network), and that vmxnet3. In hardware configuration of VM Both network adapter 1 and 2 are connected to the Management Network, not sure if that's what you asking.

In devices VMware virtual disk, vmxnet3 Ethernet adapter, Intel adapter and that's it.

I somewhere saw that i need first to create forward reverse PTR's on VM and only then install vCenter server. Don't want to delete everything but if it comes to that.

0 Kudos
M1nd3
Contributor
Contributor

OK i think this could be problem, in ESXi7 when i go to networking, select switch0, press on it, switch topology is displayed, so on the left side i see Management network and VM network, but on the right side there is no physical adapter displayed. I probably need to assign an adapter there.

0 Kudos