VMware Cloud Community
msemon1
Expert
Expert

Removing a Network Adapter from a vSwitch

Hello,

I am trying to remove a network adapter from a virtual switch on an ESXi 4. host. When I go under the properties of the vSwitch -----> Network Adapters

and click remove I get an error that says:

Call "HostNetworkSystem.UpdatePortGroup" for object "networkSystem-1133" on vCenter Server "Our vCenter Server Name" failed.
Operation failed, diagnostics report: Error interacting with configuration file /etc/vmware/esx.conf: Write failed during Unlock. 
This is likely due to a full or read-only filesystem.  Original Error was: Error interacting with configuration file /etc/vmware/esx.conf:
Unable to write to file /etc/vmware/esx.conf.umBSCD while saving /etc/vmware/esx.conf operation aborted.  It is likely this was caused by a Full Disk.

I checked the storage and there is plenty of space on the storage so I don't think this is the problem.  I am wondering if this must be done while host is powered off or done from a command line with CLI. The CLI command appears to be:

vicfg-vswitch [<connection_options>]

--del-dvp-uplink <adapter_name> --dvp <DVPort_id> <dvswitch_name>

The reason I am removing the adapter is it is in a down state since it has not been connected to a switch yet.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

This doesn't need to happen while offline.

Are you sure that the partition hosting ESXi isn't full? (not the shared storage - ESXi itself).  Login to the Tech Support Mode and give us the output of 'df -k'

Also, this can happen if the filesystem is write protected due to failure....have you considered a reboot to see if it comes back.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
msemon1
Expert
Expert

Here is the output from df -k. Looks like there is still space.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I wonder if the esx.cfg file is corrupt or some data is missing from the file? Have a look at the file. I would also look at the other esx.cfg.xxx that is referenced in the error. I believe that will be a temporary copy of the file.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

See if the following might help fix the issue if the esx.cfg file is broken. http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004451

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Discussion moved from VMware ESXi™ 4 to VMware vSphere™ vNetwork

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I will try to rebuild the esx.cfg file

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Is this a dvSwitch or regular vSwitch? The commands for each are slightly different.

If you have host profiles capability you can rebuild the esx.cfg from the hostprofile.

I would also restart hostd on your ESXi host. It sounds like ESX and vCenter are out of sync. Then I would also restart vCenter as well as refresh your network settings. I have had this happen with storage and it finally took me going into the vCenter db to remove some 'no longer' in use storage elements.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

Communities Moderator, VMware vExpert,

Author: VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security,VMware ESX and ESXi in the Enterprise 2nd Edition

Podcast: The Virtualization Security Podcast Resources: The Virtualization Bookshelf

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

I think you hit the nail on the head.  This host has a regular vSwitch. The services have been restarted, however, I think there is a problem

with the host profile. I believe this server may have been built incorrectly with the host profile. Will try to find more information on how this host

was built.

Regards,

Mike Semon

0 Kudos