VMware Horizon Community
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

App Volumes not loading when assigned to user group

I'm still fairly new to App Volumes. We're slowly migrating away from linked clones and moving to instant clones. App volumes has been working well except it seems that when I assign a package to a group of users, it doesn't attach. If I specify a user directly then it works. What am I missing?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you by any chance have multiple domains using ldaps and have the problem when your group is in a different domains than your user?

0 Kudos
Digory34
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @Chris_Nodak 

As troubleshooting, you can check the log from the App volume Manager and what is the error during the login with the group.

What you can do is typing http://AppVolumes ManagerFQDN:port number/log + reproduce the issue, then refresh the log webpage and check with the group user name.

It could be related to your active directory and group management as this is working with user directly.

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We do have multiple domains but the group is from the same domain as the user in question.

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for that information. I will give that a look!

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've logged on and off a number of times with my test user that is in the user group I want to assign apps to. This last time one of the 3 apps finally attached but the other 2 did not. Also log on is taking an incredibly long time.

I looked at a few other apps I have assigned to groups in my domain, specifically to the desktop that I'm using and am noticing that not all those apps are attaching either.

I think I will need to open a support ticket and see where that takes me.

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did open a ticket with support on this. It appears that Appvolumes isn't enumerating the user groups for the user in the other domain. Anyone have any ideas why this would be? In the primary domain it works fine. Support rep is stumped right now.

0 Kudos
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

These applications you are installing, are they installed as user or machine wide installation?
I know that i.e Slack or MS Teams is a user installation, so when you install these applications on an appstack, you'll need to install them with the machine-wide installation, or you'll need to install it as "all users". Very often MSI files comes with this option, so you'll need to use something like this:
msiexe /i application.msi /allusers to be sure that you'll install it for everyone.

What applications are we talking about here?

Best regards
Lansti
0 Kudos