VMware Horizon Community
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

app volumes broker integration service

Hello,

I am trying to configure the app volumes broker integration service, but it is not working.

Eventlog is filled with:Unable to configure broker. Error downloading configuration from App Volumes Mananger: Invalid character in a Base-64 string.

I already checked this KB, but did not help:

VMware KB: Unable to connect App Volumes Broker Integration service to App Volumes Manager

Anyone?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

An issue has been identified and a fix will be coming soon.

In the meantime please note this is not required to intsall and use App Volumes. This is a feature enhancement only to optimize performance in a View environment.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Whisker58
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same exact problem.  I did figure out that you don't need to have the broker integration service running in order for App Volumes to work.  The documentation only says that the service speeds things up.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please provide additional details. OS's involved, same network, domains, etc.

0 Kudos
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Jason,

The integration service is installed on the connection server (windows 2012R2), which is in the same vlan as the Appvolumes manager (also WIndows 2012R2)

Only 1 domain is involved.

It installs successfully, but the eventlog of the connection server is filled with these events:

"Unable to configure broker. Error downloading configuration from App Volumes Mananger: Invalid character in a Base-64 string."

In the Appvolume manager the system messages log is filled with:

"Broker service configuration requested"

@Whisker58, I know it is not required, but I want to install it as it should improve performance (and hey if it is available it should work don't you think)

0 Kudos
Whisker58
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I want to have it up and running as well, I only suggested removing it as a work-around.

My environment has 2008R2 connection and security servers, 2012R2 vCenter and App Volumes, single domain and VLAN.  View 5.3, ESXi 5.5.0.  I don't think I'm doing anything goofy.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

An issue has been identified and a fix will be coming soon.

In the meantime please note this is not required to intsall and use App Volumes. This is a feature enhancement only to optimize performance in a View environment.

0 Kudos
gpeck29adv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I appreciate that a fix is coming; however, a month has past and I'm wondering...probably like others. When is this fix coming?

You may think this isn't really necessary; but when you tie App Volumes writable disks and personal Management tools like ProfileUnity, it might be a bit more necessary. Currently I'm possibly experiencing both things running at the same time, and since the user installed apps volume (set for UIA and Profile) isn't there, the other tools is erroring out. It works fine when I don't save the profile on the UIA disk...but who wants to sit through a Windows local profile creation on every logon?

Any updates would be great!

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

To be clear the broker integration service only does one thing. It is given information from Horizon View. That information is the user and what VM they will be going to. App Volumes Manager then uses that information to begin attaching the volumes to the VM before the user has actually logged in. This should reduce login time but it is not a guarantee as there are MANY variables to the logon process. What you are describing I think is a different issue. That the volume is not attaching or not attaching in time as part of the logon process. That issue can potentially be resolved with the following thread.

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2469261#2469261

This will delay the logon process until all volumes are completely attached. Unless I am misunderstanding the issue..

0 Kudos