VMware Cloud Community
vidhya3b
Contributor
Contributor

Help On VDR

Dear all,

I am not able to post anywhere except here. Sorry for posting here.

We have a VDR server. We have scheduled backup of Vcenter server using it.

Because of storage constraint, We thought it would be better if we take backup on tape on monthly basis.

How to accompolish that using VDR? Please help me.

One more thing, In which location the back disk is saved in VDR. How to find it?

Kindly help. Thanks in Advance!!!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
EGarbuzov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can read this article: http://xtravirt.com/xd10131 (need quick registration)

Hope it helps

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

VDR by itself does not provide this kind of feature. It only deduplicates and copy data to a share or disk. What you can do is to copy to a tape this data on a network share (or attach the disk, if it is a LUN, to a backup server) and copy the data to a tape.

Marcelo Soares

Marcelo Soares
vidhya3b
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We have a plan like that also. Now here I don't know where the backup files are stored in my VDR Server.

How to get the location of this?

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

They are the destinations. This doc http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vdr_12_admin.pdf shows you the configuration, on page 24. On page 26 you can see specifically how to connect destinations - there you will be able to check your current destinations.

Marcelo Soares

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I have moved this thread over to the Backup and Recovery forum. 

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

There aren't individual files for a specific virtual machine. vDR backups are a conglomerate of ALL the virtual machines in a single file or possibly two depending on how many destination disks you have. In order to restore a virtual machine from a backed up copy of the vDR destination disk you would need to install a new vDR appliance and point it to your restored copy of the vDR destination disk. If you need the backup to tape capability you might want to see whether your tape backup software supports VMware's API directly. Most backup software vendors do.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos