VMware Cloud Community
dlrichard11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can Converter convert a 64Bit Vista physical machine?

I have tried to convert Vista64 to a virtual machine but it requires the vista installation disk when I try to runt the VM in VMPlayer. This brought up the question if Converter can create a Vista 32 or 64 bit VM. Does anybody have information on this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bobonit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If when you say "Create a Vista 64 vm" you mean using Convertor to make the VM, then running that VM on the machine that you used convertor on, yes, you will still need it. It doesn't matter that you have the virtual machine running on the same box that it was virtualized from, it no longer sees that physical hardware. You have effectively taken that machine from a physical box with x-brand motherboard and chipset and now have it running on VMware virtual hardware with a different chipset. It will need to load the drivers on its first boot.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

it should work. you may need the OS CD in case files are required for the new hardware presented inside the virtual machine.

Remember, we don't convert the hardware ... we replace it with an Intel 440BX chipset and a bunch of other stuff.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

dlrichard11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Should the OS CD be necessary if I create a Vista 64 vm on a Vista 64 machine and then run the VM on the same machine?

Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos
Bobonit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If when you say "Create a Vista 64 vm" you mean using Convertor to make the VM, then running that VM on the machine that you used convertor on, yes, you will still need it. It doesn't matter that you have the virtual machine running on the same box that it was virtualized from, it no longer sees that physical hardware. You have effectively taken that machine from a physical box with x-brand motherboard and chipset and now have it running on VMware virtual hardware with a different chipset. It will need to load the drivers on its first boot.

0 Kudos