VMware Cloud Community
rbokle
Contributor
Contributor

Convert Windows 10 laptop to VM

Looking to convert a physical Windows 10 laptop to a vm and import it into VMware using the Vcenter/Vsphere web client.  At this point I used the Vmware converter to get it into VMware Workstation with compatibility for Workstation 17.  I didn't want to go directly to the ESXI host from the converter right away to be on the safe side as I haven't used it before.  This gave me an opportunity to check on the VM to make sure things were working.  I then converted the Workstation VM from version 17 to Workstation 11 since I need the VM to be compatible with my VMWare hosts which are at ESXI 6.0.  There wasn't an option in the dropdown for ESXI 6.0, only compatibility with Workstation versions as seen below.  I believe now it should be compatible so assuming  I can upload both the .vmx and .vmdk files and register the VM in the VCenter/VSphere web client.  Hoping someone here can confirm this will work.  Thanks in advance.

rbokle_1-1706656263901.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rbokle
Contributor
Contributor

Anybody have an idea?

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Yes, it should be fine.
What it does is the vmx configuration is set to

virtualHW.version = "11"

You can also look at this KB: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003746

The good thing about changing the setting at Workstation Pro is that it checks whether a VM is using a feature not available in lower hardware version and does not allow it if it does. For example, NVMe controller is available in 14.x and higher and changing to 12.x or lower will not proceed if a VM has an NVMe controller.

0 Kudos
Preeti-P
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,
Converter can be used to convert physical machine to virtual machine.
Please refer Section "Select a Powered On Windows Machine to Convert" in https://docs.vmware.com/en/vCenter-Converter-Standalone/6.4/using-vcenter-converter-sa-64.pdf
Select source type as - Powered on and choose 'This local machine' from the dropdown. Please note: For this, you need to install converter in the same machine that you are trying to convert.

Hope this helps,
Preeti

0 Kudos