VMware Cloud Community
JordiGC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Create virtual machine ESXi 8.0 file from Windows Server

I have a Windows Server 2016 machine and I want to virtualize it and run it on a vSphere 8.0 server.

This would be easy with the Converter Standalone if vCenter were running, but I what I need to do is to create a virtual machine file from the running Windows Server 2016, install ESXi and vCenter on the same hard disk (losing the Windows Server), and eventually install the file created in the step before in the new ESXi. Is that possible?

I can install ESXi and vCenter on another hard disk on the same machine, but then I won't be able to start Windows Server anyway, so I don't think this might work.

Thanks for your help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Do you have another system available on which you could install VMware Workstation, running the converted Windows VM?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Some quick notes:

The host on which you run ESXi needs to support virtualization. For Intel Systems, check the host's BIOS, and ensure that "Virtualization Technology" (VT-x) is enabled.

In case you are using VMware Workstation Pro on your laptop, you should be able to upload the VM directly to ESXi from within the GUI after connecting to the ESXi host.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jsm79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Best method would be to use VMware's P2V converter. But since you're wanting to install ESXi on the same machine as your current physical Windows Server, it makes it challenging. But there is always a way! One option is to capture an image of that WinServer machine using Acronis or Clonezilla, and write it to an external drive. Then, when you install ESXi on that server, you can create a VM, mount the imaging software on that VM (Acronis/Clonezilla, or whatever you used to capture), then attach the storage device used to store the image to the VM (either via host pass-thru, or management interface of whatever management device you're using to access vSphere/host client), and write the original image to the VM. It isn't ideal, but I've done it before and it will work.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Do you have another system available on which you could install VMware Workstation, running the converted Windows VM?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
JordiGC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello scott28tt:

Yes, I have a laptop where I could install VMware Workstation, but eventually I'd like to use vSphere on the original hardware. I am not sure if you are suggesting to create a virtual machine for VMware Workstation to run in on the laptop, and once ESXi is running create the virtual machine again from the VMware Workstaion virtual machine or import it somehow.

0 Kudos
JordiGC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you jsm79. I'll download Acronis and give it a try, but first I would like to see where scott is going with his solution too :).

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That’s exactly what I was suggesting, temporarily running your Windows server VM on that laptop til you have ESXi up and running.

0 Kudos
JordiGC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'll give it a go and let you know. I'm waiting for a few SATA cables I need to add more hard disks to the server. As soon as I have them, I'll try this solution and do the Acronis copy too, just to have a backup.

0 Kudos
JordiGC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have created a Virtual Machine of the server and it is running on my laptop using VMware Workstation. I have installed ESXi 8.0.1 on the original hardware and it is running too now.

Then I have installed VMware vCenter Converter in the virtual machine and when I try to create a virtual machine from this one to ESXi, the software shows a message saying "the destination does not support 64 bit guest operating systems".

I have found a way to export the Workstation file format to a ESXi file format using VMware Workstation (I was using the player). I'll let you know if it works after the conversion (it takes a while).

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Some quick notes:

The host on which you run ESXi needs to support virtualization. For Intel Systems, check the host's BIOS, and ensure that "Virtualization Technology" (VT-x) is enabled.

In case you are using VMware Workstation Pro on your laptop, you should be able to upload the VM directly to ESXi from within the GUI after connecting to the ESXi host.

André

0 Kudos
JordiGC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you André. That's what I did. After trying to create the virtual machine to ESXi with vCenter Converter from Workstation Player and failing, I switched to Workstation Pro. From there I was able to connect to the ESXi machine, convert the VM hardware and upload the image.

VT-x is enabled, so now the system is working properly.

Thank you everyone for your help.

0 Kudos