VMware Cloud Community
ashishpotluri
Contributor
Contributor

Need advice on Coldclone conversion

Coldclone conversion of W2K3 Server running on HPBL460C blade with boot from Hitachi AMS 200 SAN , failed with error "unable to determine guest operating system"

can someone please let me know process to get this working .

Thanks in advance ..:)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dconvery
Champion
Champion

WOW...that's almost as good as a user saying "I got some error message. Canyou help?"

If this occured during the 97% comlete phase, then the image was successful, the conversion process cannot determine the location of the system/boot partition. This is usually because of a misguided arc path in boot.ini. You can use a "helper" VM running W2K3 to mount the drive and edit the boot.ini.

If this is occurring during the first 2%, then the cold clone CD cannot access the SAN system/boot partitions. In this case, you will need to inject the HBA drivers into the coldclone cd image using PETool.exe

Dave Convery - VMware vExpert 2009

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Doug Larson

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

99% of the time you are missing drivers for the controller cards. You will need to provide a driver either at boot or integrate it into the ISO. If you provide it during boot, it has to be from a floppy disc and press F6 like when installing windows for the first time.

Unable to determine guest os is like converter saying:

1) I don't see any hard drives, so what do you expect me to convert

2) I see some hard drives, but have no clue what it is since I only support NTFS.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos