VMware Cloud Community
MichaelTsang
Contributor
Contributor

P2V Convert Redhat Linux 5.3 Failed

I am trying to convert the physical Redhat 5.3 enterprise server machines using VM Converter Standalone edition 4.0.1; but everytime is is failed. Does anyone know what is happening?

I am attaching the converter log for reference.

P.S. I am not so familiar with Linux OS.

Thanks, Michael

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

did you try to convert this linux vm while powered off?

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
MichaelTsang
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to convert a physical machine to virtual; not virtual to physical. I don't think I can clone a machine when it it power off.

Michael

0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

ow sorry Smiley Happy

Yes, you can use cold clone (converter boot iso). This should work fine.

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
MichaelTsang
Contributor
Contributor

Cold clone does not support Linux, only Windows

0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

This is not true. I did it once with cold boot, and it works fine. I did it with converter 3.x as far as I remember

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
MichaelTsang
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, you are right but now I am using vSphere and need to use standalone converter instead of boot CD.

0 Kudos