VMware Cloud Community
sbarnhart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Using converter to create ESX machines to local disk and not to ESX datastore?

Is this possible to create local/offline ESX machine conversions without sending them to an ESX machine? Selecting a virtual infrastucture machine type doesn't allow me to save the files locally, only log into an ESX server.

I have an ESX machine offsite and can't do the conversion up to the ESX machine due to the bandwidth limitations.

I've been doing this by converting to a VMWare Server 2.x machine saved to a local USB disk and then converting again when I'm on site with the ESX destination. This works, but its faster to FastSCP the data off the USB disk than to re-run the converter. For backup/DR purposes, it'd also be nice to know I had the machines I had converted "ready to go" in ESX format without having to re-convert.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

>Is this possible to create local/offline ESX machine conversions without sending them to an ESX machine? Selecting a virtual infrastucture machine type doesn't allow me to save the files locally, only log into an ESX server.

No, you must select an ESX or vCenter destination to create a virtual machine that is specifically compatible with ESX.

>I've been doing this by converting to a VMWare Server 2.x machine saved to a local USB disk and then converting again when I'm on site with the ESX destination. This works, but its faster to FastSCP the data off the USB disk than to re-run the converter. For backup/DR purposes, it'd also be nice to know I had the machines I had converted "ready to go" in ESX format without having to re-convert.

Unless you use something like VCB (which still runs a backup and restore process), this is probably the best way to do it. If you select your output to VMware Server 1.x, it is the 'nearest neighbor' to ESX. Then you have some additional options like http://kb.vmware.com/kb/900/

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

>Is this possible to create local/offline ESX machine conversions without sending them to an ESX machine? Selecting a virtual infrastucture machine type doesn't allow me to save the files locally, only log into an ESX server.

No, you must select an ESX or vCenter destination to create a virtual machine that is specifically compatible with ESX.

>I've been doing this by converting to a VMWare Server 2.x machine saved to a local USB disk and then converting again when I'm on site with the ESX destination. This works, but its faster to FastSCP the data off the USB disk than to re-run the converter. For backup/DR purposes, it'd also be nice to know I had the machines I had converted "ready to go" in ESX format without having to re-convert.

Unless you use something like VCB (which still runs a backup and restore process), this is probably the best way to do it. If you select your output to VMware Server 1.x, it is the 'nearest neighbor' to ESX. Then you have some additional options like http://kb.vmware.com/kb/900/

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
sbarnhart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks. That's pretty much what I expected the answer to be, but hey, it never hurts to ask.

For whoever is reading this, making ESX VMs to local (non-ESX filesystem) storage with Converter would be my feature request.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have access to the Workstation Tech Preview? it supports ESXi 4.0 as a virtual machine, and you could technically simulate a target for converter.

sneaky sneaky ...

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is this possible to create local/offline ESX machine conversions without sending them to an ESX machine?

Yes - sure this is possible. Store VM as Workstation 6.5 compatible with one-piece preallocated vmdk. You can store this where ever you want.

The result can be uploaded to an ESX any time later

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
McStarfighter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does it work or doesn't it? I'm very interested about this and continuum's answer seems to be easy and clear ...

0 Kudos
sbarnhart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I haven't tried it yet, so I couldn't tell you, although I have been getting mileage out of making my images with non-preallocated disks as they take way less disk space and make the P2V process run faster.

The second conversion step I do now (Server 2.x to Version 7 on ESX 4) isn't probably any slower than FastSCPing "ready to run" ESX4 machines from local disk.

0 Kudos