VMware Cloud Community
mmmotex
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Converter fails at 99% when converting a Virtual PC VM to VMWare Workstation

Hi all...

I'm running VMWare Workstation and VMWare Converter v3.0.3 build 89816 on Windows Vista 64-bit on an Intel quad-core box w/ 8GB of RAM. I don't know if there are any other pertinent details I should provide, so let me know if I've omitted anything.

I am attempting to convert a Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 VM to VMWare. I have shut down the VM and merged the discs. I checked the box to remove all system restore points. I did not touch any of the other settings, i.e. I kept the hard disk intact.

The conversion runs for a good long time and then fails at 99%. I have tried this on another machine which also has VMWare Workstation (an XP box) with the same result.

I've attached the logs from these conversions. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks...

Matthew

0 Kudos
2 Replies
paragsha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

In converter 3.0.3 we always convert IDE disks to SCSI disks. Doing this we require symmpi.sys (BUS logic SCSI driver) to be present on the guest operating system (i.e. your VPC VM). If this driver is not present we fail during reconfig.

There are some work-arounds:

1. Power on the VPC VM in VPC and download and install the bus logic SCSI driver

2. Mount the VMDK of the destination VM (of failed conversion), download and place symmpi.sys in <mounted volume>\Windows\system32\drivers

3. (Easiest), Use converter 4.0 beta. In this version of converter, we try and preserve the source disk type to IDE and hence do not require the SCSI driver to be present (at least when destination is WS).

HTH

0 Kudos
xe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please verify that the source contains the driver.cab file in the Driver Cache folder.

For troubleshooting steps, see KB 1006858.

0 Kudos