VMware Cloud Community
cfine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cannot get cold cloning cd to boot

might be a dumb question but how do you get the boot cd to work? i tell my system to boot from the cd, but it tells me non system disk bla bla bla.

the iso has everything it needs to make it a bootable cd correct?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yeah, you don't want to extract the ISO file. Nero should have an option to burn image as somewhere. Point that to the ISO file and then burn.

Also cdburn.exe in the Windows 2003 resource kit works well if you like the commandline.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
rubensluque
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are right, set the boot from CD in BIO is enough. if it is an old server you could try burn the converter iso image in low speed 12x or less. Perhaps it works.

cfine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i've tried it on a few different servers, even a couple new ones... i might just redownload the files and try burning it again.

i wasnt sure if i need to copy some system file to it like you use to when you made a boot disk for windows.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Might try doing a checksum against your download as well.

rubensluque
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You don't need to copy any additional files to make a boot cd. You have only to burn the coldclone.iso file you've downloaded from vmware site.

0 Kudos
cfine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

check sum turned out good, and i did try burning it at 8x instead... still no luck.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What are you using to write to the CD? Just to double check, you aren't just copying the ISO file to the disk but actually writing an image from the ISO.

0 Kudos
cfine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

im using ultraiso to exstract the iso, then i'ved tried it with nero, and with xp's copy file to cd.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yeah, you don't want to extract the ISO file. Nero should have an option to burn image as somewhere. Point that to the ISO file and then burn.

Also cdburn.exe in the Windows 2003 resource kit works well if you like the commandline.

0 Kudos
cfine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

that did it. thanks

i was extracting it because my nero stopped working so i tried the windows burner... then moved it to another computer to use nero but used the extracted version.

0 Kudos