VMware Cloud Community
aqm
Contributor
Contributor

error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've just installed VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0.1 build-161434 (server and client) on RedHat 4 (x86_64).

The client is unable to start and produces the following error:

# /usr/bin/vmware-converter-client now

/usr/lib/vmware-vcenter-converter-standalone/converter-gui: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

In addition, I've attempted to use a windows remote converter client to connect to the converter server running on this machine; however the gui is unable to connect due to bad username or password (I am able to ssh to the server with the same username and password).

The libpng12.so.0 file is located in the following directory below. (I updated my PATH and still no success)

# find / -name libpng12.so.0

/usr/lib64/libpng12.so.0

Below is the output of uname -a for the server that I've installed the converter client and server.

2.6.9-78.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jul 9 15:46:26 EDT 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

aqm,

Welcome to the VMware Community Forums!

Can you try running the client runtime as root (su or sudo)?

Also, can you see if there are any updates for you ... that is if you are allowed to do updates.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
aqm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the welcome!

I did run the client runtime with both scenarios: 1) with a user with root privileges 2) with a non-root user using sudo

Neither worked. This problem is with latest release of vmconverter and I don't see any other updates available.

---aqm

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

hi aqm. You need 32 bit libraries for the Converter Linux components to run on a x86_64 machine. That library you found is under lib64, so cannot be linked to the 32 bit Converter binaries.

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)
0 Kudos
aqm
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks,

Any idea where I can download the 32 bit libraries and where I should install them?

--aqm

0 Kudos
garf
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I'm seeing same error. Oracle Entprise Linux 4 Update 5 (RHEL 4U5) . I have the 32bit libraries in /usr/lib, but still get this error when starting the

/usr/lib/vmware-vcenter-converter-standalone/converter-gui executable.

Any other updates on this thread?

Thanks.

0 Kudos