Contributor
Contributor

Problem upgrading from 8.2 to 8.7

My current environment is as follows:

• Windows 2008 R2 64 bit virtual machines
  • Citrix XenApp 6.5
  • Running full published desktops
  • Running Flex/UEM from a GPO
  • I also have a central login script to do a variety of things being called from a GPO

I'm upgrading from Flex Profile 8.2 to vmware UEM 8.7.  After installing the update on a test Citrix server I noticed 2 things that were different.  Hoping someone can shed some light on them.

1. With Flex 8.2, when a user logs into a published desktop session the blue Windows session is displayed almost immediately.  You can see things like the Start button, My Computer, etc.  During this time my login script is running doing a variety of things.  The last thing it does is to display the Citrix server name of the server in the bottom right of the wallpaper.
  2. With 8.7 installed the behavior is that a black screen is displayed.  When the Windows desktop first appears the entire session is done being setup and the server name is displayed in the bottom right.

The total time that it takes to login, roam the profile, run the login script, setup printers, etc is the same in both scenarios.  However from the users perspective logins now take twice as long.

Is there a "show the desktop while it's loading" switch or option?

The other problem with this upgrade is that now during the login process the login script starts the Citrix PNAgent to display published applications on the desktop session.  With the new version, 1 out of 4 logins to the RDS desktop a Citrix client authentication login box appears and then quickly goes away but the client doesn't run.  With the other 3 out of 4 logins the client still doesn't run.  Moving where the PNAgent client starts in the login script from the middle to the beginning or end doesn't change this behavior.  Logging the same user into a Citrix XenApp server with the older Flex 8.2 works correctly and the PNAgent is running at the end of the login process. 

Adding the PNAgent to the hklm\run key does fix the issue.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Sjacoby,

Is User Environment Manager the only component you upgraded or is there more you've changed ?

Also, can you share a logfile in debug we can look at ?

Just out of curiosity, why did you upgrade to version 8.7 and not to version 9.1 ?

Ray

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
0 Kudos