VMware Cloud Community
sbgsxr6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Added Distributed Switch - Now can't access any ESX Server

Hi guys,

I've just finished setting up our first 2 ESX servers, added a vCentre server in as a VM to trial and set about adding a distributed switch to segregate our traffic off. During this process, I've somehow chosen the wrong NIC(s) to move across and moved VMNIC0 that was running the SC and all VM's after the original setup.

I now can't access either ESX server or the vCentre server to revert back the changes that i've made. I do have physical access to the servers via command line however.

Is there a relatively straightforward way I can move the SC and VM' back onto the default vswitch? does this happen when the vCentre server has been offline for a certain period of time? I don't mind having to re-add the VM's back into a vCentre at all, if removing the ESX's from there will revert back to using 1 vswitch and give me access again.

I'm a bit stuck at the moment as i've got 8 VM's ready to start a project on but can't access any of them!

Thanks in advance

Simon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinMC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Simon,

You need to set up a "Service Console" port group and assign a vswif to it. If you follow the steps in KB it will show you how to do that. The service console port group is necessary for the host to be seen in virtual center/vi client. I have attached 2 screenshots of what esxcfg-vswitch -l and esxcfg-vswif -l should look like. The VMotion port group is not necessary, just the service console.

Kevin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sbgsxr6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, I should have added..

All 4 nic's are connected to the network, link lights are all on. When the ESX reboots, it gets the localhost IP address of 127.0.0.1 instead of the 10.x.x.x address it used to get.

Thanks

Simon

0 Kudos
KevinMC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You will need to remove vmnic0 from the vDS from the command line and add it back to the vSS(standard switch) that contains your SC. Follow the instructions in KB to remove vmnic0 (step 2) and add it back to the vswitch that your service console is on. Use esxcfg-vswitch -l to find what vswitch your service console is on, then esxcfg-vswitch -L vmnic0 vSwitch0 where vSwitch0 is the vswitch with your service console. That should get you back up and running.

Kevin

0 Kudos
sbgsxr6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply Kevin,

I've tried the steps below this morning, but still no good unfortunately.

Performing a esxcfg-vswitch -l now shows:

vSwitch0 32 ports 4 in use mtu-1500 and vmnic0-3 are all assigned.

Portgroups:

VMNetwork VLAN0 Used Ports 0 Uplinks vmnic 2,1,0

Does the used ports signify an issue here?

Thanks

Simon

0 Kudos
KevinMC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Simon,

You need to set up a "Service Console" port group and assign a vswif to it. If you follow the steps in KB it will show you how to do that. The service console port group is necessary for the host to be seen in virtual center/vi client. I have attached 2 screenshots of what esxcfg-vswitch -l and esxcfg-vswif -l should look like. The VMotion port group is not necessary, just the service console.

Kevin

0 Kudos
sbgsxr6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Excellent, that's all back up and running now.

Thanks very much for your help Kevin.

Simon

0 Kudos