VMware Cloud Community
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adding RAM

I plan to install VMware ESXi on an HP server and to start using it to host VMs.

If I have the option to add RAM later, can I add RAM (after powering down host and guests) without re-installing VMware ESXi?

Can I presume that VMware ESXi is smart enough to detect the increase of the RAM and use it?

Is there any action I must plan to make ESXi detect and use the additional RAM?

Season's greetings and regards

marius

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No problems with adding RAM later. Just shutdown the host, add the RAM and power it on again. That's it.

I just had an issue once with a DL380 G5 where the host did not recognize the newly added memory. However this was related with an old firmware version and I had to update the firmware on the host.

With G6 and up make sure you have the same amount of RAM for each CPU!

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No problems with adding RAM later. Just shutdown the host, add the RAM and power it on again. That's it.

I just had an issue once with a DL380 G5 where the host did not recognize the newly added memory. However this was related with an old firmware version and I had to update the firmware on the host.

With G6 and up make sure you have the same amount of RAM for each CPU!

André

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

just like any modern operating system, the newly hardware changes can be detected without fresh installation of the OS.