VMware Cloud Community
Virtuali3ed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you going to trust vmWare in the future?

From the recent license goofup by vmware I have learnt some leasons: 1. Never trust a vendor. 2. Always have a backup.

So forum, here are some straight questions:

1. Are you going to trust vmware in the future even if the license terms change for now?

2. Would you consider bringing other solutions in your datacenter along with vmware?

0 Kudos
25 Replies
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

RParker wrote:

golddiggie wrote:

1. Since they did change the license model for v5 due to the response recieved here... Yes.

We discussed this very fact, and we determined they low balled customers on purpose, so they KNEW it was going to cause a rift and they were prepared to make another offer, they started low to see how much customers were willing to pay.  I believe they were "testing the waters".. if customers were smart and we banded together we could push them to go higher, but since VM Ware gave a concession.. and customers seem to adpot it...I don't think that's going to happen now.

sales - I will give you 1000 dollars for your car!

customer - What? Its worth 5000 blue book..

sales - ok 1500 for your car and we will pay the sales tax.

customer - deal!

It's classic car dealer technique... we bought it hook line and sinker...

That is probably the most worrying part:

They don't need to "test the waters", you test the waters if you have no clue what you're doing, no one adaquately sat down and did math on this (or those that did were not taken into cosideration).

The most worrying part is that over anything else, that would have never flown past me as reasonable before we released it to the public, how did it get past anyone at VMWare with even basic understanding of virtual architectures and the direction the market is going in? Maybe the decision was entirely made in a board room of business execs that simply have no clue.

And actually if they did it on purpose: it's even worse, they wouldn't spend a single day crunching numbers to not piss off customers.

Still wouldn't be surprised if Maritz is getting a check from Microsoft. :smileyplain:

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

roglar wrote:

I refuse to belive that VMware made this PR disaster on purpose.

What the actual cost of this massive badwill is going to end up for VMware is hard to see.

Well I am certain we will never know for sure.

companies love drama, and there is no such thing as bad press.. A company this big didn't get this way on accident, so they wouldn't throw darts at a board and figure it was random license.. so there was a purposeful design SOMEWHERE, and since they did roll out a different licensing at first only to change it 48 hours later.. since when did you EVER hear of companies giving in to pier pressure...hmmm?

Yeah, that doesn't work.  Nothing like a good old scandal to get the attention turned back into your direction, yeah this was DEFINATELY done on purpose.  They wanted to see what their "loyal" customers were willing to pay considering this license is breaking ALL new ground.. ANY figure they threw out at fist was going to be met with disfavor.. ANY.

so if they start low at LEAST they are in control, it's just how business is done, and this was captilism at it's best.  I STILL think we as customers should STILL push for an even higher value, 96GB vRAM is still too low, I am seeing many companies still increasing their licenses by 3 or 4 times.. so they can "fit" their VM's... we BARELY make the mark with the current scheme I am certain we are in the minority for customers that will NOT need to buy more licenses...

0 Kudos
roglar
Contributor
Contributor

RParker wrote:

and since they did roll out a different licensing at first only to change it 48 hours later..

It was more like three weeks of bad press before the changes in licensing came out, with 48 to 96 GB in Ent+.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe the decision was entirely made in a board room of business execs that simply have no clue.

And actually if they did it on purpose: it's even worse, they wouldn't spend a single day crunching numbers to not piss off customers.

Still wouldn't be surprised if Maritz is getting a check from Microsoft. :smileyplain:

Business exec's that were looking for their quarterly bonus / yearly quota .. They have a clue, they are just greedy.

I agree with you about Maritz.. wouldn't surprise me either .. It's like the oil companies they are ALL in collusion.. !

0 Kudos
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

roglar wrote:

RParker wrote:

and since they did roll out a different licensing at first only to change it 48 hours later..

It was more like three weeks of bad press before the changes in licensing came out, with 48 to 96 GB in Ent+.

No, he's referring to the first release of Ent+, 24GB of RAM. Smiley Wink jkjk

0 Kudos
rbtwindude
Contributor
Contributor

This should make it easier:

NO MORE HYPERVISOR VENDOR LOCK-IN ::::::::::::::::: AWESOME!

This is very interesting to be able to manage any hypervisors from Virtual Center.

This is the day I have been looking for, one management window for all. Extend my VC to support cross platform support (vmware/KVM/Hyper-V/Citrix Xen)!

The thing is a lot of the feature rich stuff comes from VC (HA/DRS rules/plugins/etc).

You heard it here first - Some companies will start to look at Tiered virtual environments going forward (this HV for this and this one for that). The licensing on vSphere 5 (vTax) has changed the game. However I think VMware did good job with the quick fix for most.

UVP - Unified Virtual Platform

www.hotlink.com<;http://www.hotlink.com>

I sure hope they let this mature.

0 Kudos