VMware Cloud Community
mhs_arg
Contributor
Contributor

Automatic Startup Timming

I'm trying to tune my startup order but I couldn´t find anywher exactly how it is done.... :smileyconfused:

the delay time means that the 2nd will start XXX seconds after starting the first? what happens with the third? if I have 3 VMs with a delay of 60, 60, 60.... how will the timming be?

regards

mariano

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Gav0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To configure at the host level you can select the configuration tab of the host, the under software click " Virtual Machine Startup/Shutdown"

In there you can enable automatic startup for the vm's after the host boots - default delay is 120 seconds.

For your example if you want a 60 second delay between each VM you would enable it for each VM and have the startup delay settings such as:

VM1 (120 Seconds)

VM2 (180 Seconds)

VM3 (240 Seconds)

If you don't care about the VM's booting at the same time you can leave them all at 120 seconds and they will boot at the same time.

Note: The Virtual Machine Startup and Shutdown (automatic startup) feature is disabled for all virtual machines residing on hosts that are in (or moved into) a VMware HA cluster. Automatic startup is not supported when used with VMware HA. As a result, starting with vCenter Server 5.0 Update 1, the Allow virtual machines to start and stop automatically with the system is available though at this time does not have functionality when enabled.

Here is a KB on it VMware KB: Automating the process of starting and stopping virtual machines on VMware ESX

Have you considered using a vapp for this?

Please award points to your peers for any correct or helpful answers
mhs_arg
Contributor
Contributor

thank you very much.... that was exactly what i need to know!!!! all the delays starts at the same point....

:smileyplus::smileyplus::smileyplus:

0 Kudos