VMware Cloud Community
vdalk
Contributor
Contributor

Boot problem after uppgrading to ESXi 4.1

Hi everybody,

After uppgrading my ESXi 4 server (which is installed on a USB) the server couldn't boot and I got the following error in red text: "Panic: Error while reading file: -3, vmkboot.gz".

I uppgraded the server using vSphere Host Updating Utility 4.0. The upgrade went very well and the server booted well after uppgrade but wouldn't want to boot after shutdown!!

Anybody have an idea about this issue? thanks in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
piaroa
Expert
Expert

This is not a real solution, but if your ESXi is on USB, then you might as well try and do a fresh install?

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
jgaddi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
jgaddi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ignore that, didn't see the "i" in your ESXi 😃

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

What size USB flash drive are you using? I've always done clean installs of ESXi when going to flash drives. I also won't use anything smaller than a 2GB USB flash drive for ESXi 4.x... Right now I have two flash drives, one with ESXi 4 and one with ESXi 4.1 that I can use to test out hardware and such. On production (or even my main host inside my home lab) I've always installed onto (mirrored) internal hard drives. I also use name brand (SanDisk Cruzer) flash drives for ESXi... I'm not one to trust lesser brands, or lower performance devices.

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

vdalk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer and sorry for my very late response. I'v installed an fresh copy of ESXi 4.1 and it works well. 

0 Kudos
vdalk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer and sorry for my very late response. I used SanDisk 2 GB, so I think the problem was not on the type of the flash. I reinstalled the ESXi 4.1 (a fresh copy) on my sandisk flash and  it worked fine but still didnot know why the upgrade didnot worked.

0 Kudos