VMware Cloud Community
wkwicker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't override Management Network Teaming and Failover

On a newly build ESXi 7.0 system the Management Network has the overrides checked.  Has anyone noticed that you can't uncheck the overrides on the Management Network?  Actually you can uncheck them, but behind the scenes they will get checked back.  It seems as if that is read only but I have not found it documented anywhere.  As a workaround I just set the overrides to the options I want.  Does anyone know how to fix it?  I have deleted the Management Network and created another with the same name which does fix it but would rather not have to do that.

The same behavior is there if you disable overrides with esxcli.

I am using a Dell supplied 7.0 U3 (was there with U2 also), not sure if that matters.

I do not recall this behavior on previous versions but I had used generally used AutoDeploy and not using that anymore.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

From my point of view the discussion would be a little too complex but the substance is that when we talk about the default "PortGroup" called "management network" on which VMK0 lands removing the overrides to inherit settings from the underlying vSwitch is practically useless, they are reverted within seconds.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
wkwicker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's what I'm saying, why can't the overrides on Management Network be unchecked?

0 Kudos
makruger
Contributor
Contributor

I just ran into the same problem. I'd say this is probably a bug. 

My servers are all running ESXi 7.0.3 build 21930508

In my case, I worked with my networking guys to enable etherchannel to team up the interfaces and then on the ESXi side of things enabled "route based on IP hash" at the virtual switch level and then checked to ensure all vmkernels are not doing any overrides. However, after rebooting the system, the management vmkernel then reverts back to "route based on originating virtual port" with all the override boxes checked and this in turn kills networking for the management network. I can disable the overrides via either vcenter or the host client, but the change doesn't persist after rebooting the system. 

Good to know that recreating the interface is a viable work around. 

In my case I need to reload ESXi since I am updating some of my servers to a new storage controller and disks. Hopefully I don't experience this after the reload as well. 

0 Kudos