VMware Cloud Community
EddieA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can vicfg-backup migrate a configuration from 5.0 -> 5.1

Attempting to restore my 5.0 configuration on 5.1 produces this:

vicfg-cfgbackup.pl -load -server Hyper -username root -password ******** C:\Users\Eddie\Downloads\ESXi.cfg
The restore operation will reboot the host.
Type 'yes' to continue:
yes
Uploading config bundle to configBundle.tgz ...
Performing restore ...
Restore failed: A general system error occurred: Internal error
Exiting maintenance mode ...

Is this because it's not supported, or because I'm trying the restore with the 5.0 version of the CLI.  The 5.1 version download takes me to a "Download is not available" page.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pejonsson
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the exact same operation, uploading a ESXi 5.0 backup to a new 5.1 host

did not work for me either but with a different error message

Enter username: root

Enter password:
The restore operation will reboot the host.
Type 'yes' to continue:
yes
Uploading config bundle to configBundle.tgz ...
Unable to enter maintenance mode: Current license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation.. Please ensure no virtual machines a
re running on the host and retry the operation again.

The only thing I did on the host after the complete new install of 5.1  to add the licence key using vSphere Client.

I tried to put the host into maintenance mode manually but that had no effect

/JoP

0 Kudos
pejonsson
Contributor
Contributor

I might add that I tried both the 5.0 CLI and the  5.1 CLI is found at:

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VSP510-VCLI-510&productId=285

None of them works.

Unless you set up new ESXi host all the time, you should make a checklist of what to do instead of waisting hours of hazzling with non-working backup/restore tools.

My environment is not very complex so here's my checklist of HOWTO configure a brand new ESXi host

In the console

* Set IP, DNS, Enable SSH

In vSphere:

* Enable NTP

* Set datastore (NFS share on my www.freenas.org). Keep an exact copy of the connection string

* Set the ScratchPartition to a separate folder on the datastore. Keep an exact copy of the connection string

* Set networking. Keep a screen dump from the network layout page, make sure the LAN and WAN nic's are kept the same as before.

* Browse datastore and manually add the guests

* Set startup/shutdown order of the guests

* Reboot the host (to have the scratch partion stuff enabled)

0 Kudos
EddieA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the link.  If you use the Download button on this page:  http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/server/vsphere/automationtools/vsphere_cli  it still takes you to one that says:  Download is not available.

In the end I gave up trying to restore the configuration and instead made a clone copy of my 5.0 USB boot stick, and did an upgrade instead of an install.

Cheers.

0 Kudos