VMware Cloud Community
achristianson
Contributor
Contributor

Convert Windows Storage Server to Virtual file server

Hello

I have an HP x1600 storage server running Windows Storage server 2008 r2 with about 6 TB of data on it that I want to convert to a Virtual File server.  This data is just in Windows file Shares (about 50 shares total).  Currently all the data is on a separate Volume (D:) from the OS (C:).  Since Windows Storage Server is an OEM OS I cannot do a direct P2V conversion.  What is my best solution?  Can I use the Standalone Convertor to convert the Physical data volume to a .vmdk and attach that to a new VM running Windows Server 2012? or will that not work?  Also would a single 6 TB vmdk file be a good idea or would I also need to break it into multiple smaller ones?  We are running Version 5.5.

Thanks for the help

Tony

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

I didn't try this myself yet, but according to the documentation VMware Converter 5.5 should be able to convert large GPT partitioned disks to VMs with HW version 10. Since VMware supports virtual disks with up to 62 TB, I don't see any reasons not to do that if you have a supported storage in place.

Two thoughts on this however:

• Afaik the Storage Server doesn't require CALs, so depending on your existing lienses you may need to purchase those.
  • To manage VMs with HW version 10 you need vCenter Server. You cannot use the Windows based vSphere Client to modify settings for VMs with HW version 10.

André

0 Kudos
achristianson
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks  for the reply.  I do already have the cals so that won't be a problem.

We plan on doing this file server migration later in Feb.  I will report back on if this process was successful.

Tony

0 Kudos