VMware Cloud Community
CoryIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

DL380 G7 stuck loading at vmkibft loaded

Hi,

I have an old DL380 G7 on which I have run an SPP update from April this year, and runs Bios P67.

This model is listed on the HCL for old version like 5.0 and 5.5, including 6.0 plus updates.

I have installed on a USB key and am trying to boot (same happens for the installer), but the boot just gets stuck on "vmkibft loaded successfully"

Am at a loss on why this is getting stuck here, and looking for some guidance.

Have also tried ensuring the inbuilt raid controller has no default volumes set for boot.

Cheers

James

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CoryIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

They are HP 146GB 15K SAS, with pretty new firmware (from April).

Does look like they are the issue, although not sure why.

This is only for testing really, so happy to continue without these disks installed.

James

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello James,

You may be able to get more specific logging about why/what component this is stalling on during this process by using ALT+F12 which will display the boot logging, can you upload a screenshot of this?

What version and build are you updating to and from and where did you procure the iso?

What other devices such as disks and SAN are attached to this host?

Bob

0 Kudos
CoryIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

Interestingly, I just removed the two drives that were in raid 0, leaving just a single disk (technically in raid 10), and it boots ok.

So must be something to do with the hard disks configured in raid 0.

It's a brand new install, not an update/upgrade, and the ISO was procured directly from vmware download site (latest build of 6.5).

Will try reconfiguring the two disks in some other fashion and see what happens

Thanks

James

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello James,

That is good to hear, one of the reasons I asked what was locally attached is it could have been stalling at a similar point on drives as this:

experts-exchange.com/questions/28504727/Server-stuck-on-'vmkibft-loaded-successfully-5-5'.html

Same server model (DL380 G7) so was thinking it may have same or similar disks and thus the same issue.

What drives are these, how are they attached and do they have compatible firmware installed?

Bob

0 Kudos
CoryIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

They are HP 146GB 15K SAS, with pretty new firmware (from April).

Does look like they are the issue, although not sure why.

This is only for testing really, so happy to continue without these disks installed.

James

0 Kudos
pr0f
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had same Issue On DL380 G7 with p410i and 2*146 10k SAS HDD on it, I tried to upgrade the HDDs firmware but it failed and esxi (I tested it with esxi 5.5,6.0 and 6.5) hanged while loading during booting I pulled out HDDs then esxi could load the modules at last I forced to install the esxi on USB flash drive I'll tried these test with 300GB SAS HDD and If it failed I inform every one.

0 Kudos
tomar1981
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I faced the same issue ..We have

HP DL 380 G7 running ESX6.0 Update 2 3620759-HPE-600.9.6.0.49  version OS.

Brocade HBA card conneted to SAN storage VNX5100 through SAN switch.

Due to  original shipped 300 GB SAS 10K HDD failure, we decided to upgrade with higher 900 GB capacity drive.

we configure HDD in mirror mode 1+0.

After inserting system got hung up at  this vmkibft  loaded screen.I tried many things, Upgrading HP firmware,but nothing happened.

Then i saw 2 version of ESX Update 3 ISOs.

Solution :- Dont go for                  ESXi-6.0.0-Update3-9313334-HPE-preGen9-600.9.8.5.4

instead go for             ESXi-6.0.0-Update3-10719132-HPE-Gen9plus-600.10.4.0.15

Now system gets boot up in 3 minute.

Hope this help

0 Kudos