VMware Cloud Community
paulo_andrade
Contributor
Contributor

DNS Name??

Hi everyone,

Under the section Virtual Machines what is the DNS name colum for and the purpose of it? And is it editable or not?

Thanks

Paulo

hotel reservation system

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

DNS Name is the FQDN (fully qualified domain name) of the VM and I don't believe you can edit it because I don't see any reference in the .vmx file. This information is probably coming from AD. If your VM (windows) is joined to a domain that information is present, with out it, it just shows short name.

0 Kudos
paulo_andrade
Contributor
Contributor

From my end (And I am running a considerable number of vm) I have yet to see one that shows that name Smiley Happy It always shows blank/nothing, that's why I am asking.

hotel reservation system

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

It populates if you have VMware Tools installed.

0 Kudos
paulo_andrade
Contributor
Contributor

Since VMWare tools is used for Graphics + Mouse move improvements and I don't make use of those since my virtual machines are all text based, is their a point actually installing the vmware tools?

hotel reservation system

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

The VMware Guest Tools do enhance feature beyond just mouse and graphics. Also, as Dave said, without them installed and running you will be unlikely to get the information you are looking for.

See page 120 of the vSphere Basic System Administration Guide on the importance of the guest tools

0 Kudos