VMware Cloud Community
Oliver_cc
Contributor
Contributor

Deleted vmx and vmdk file, restored from a Veeam backup - VM seem fine

I deleted by error the vmx and vmdk file while the VM was still operating. So the flat where still there.

The last good backup dated 8 days ago and did a restore on those two files and copied them in the VM folder.
Just after the copie, the VM shut itself down and rebooted without any problem and no problem arised yet.

So my question is : what are the implication of doing it this way vs the recreate vmx that you find on the Internet.

My IT consultant said that I took a gamble and it was risky that way.

What your take on that? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I don't see much risk in doing what you've done.
The only real risk would be with a VM that has active snapshots, and the restored configuration files point to the base disk rather then to the snapshot, which could lead to data corruption, or loss.

André

BarryGrowler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Restoring the VMX and VMDK files from an 8-day-old Veeam backup, as you've done, is a valid recovery approach, especially when the files were accidentally deleted. This method is effective if the VM was running and its flat files were intact, allowing for a seemingly seamless restoration and reboot of the VM without noticeable issues. The primary concern with this method, as mentioned, would involve scenarios where active snapshots exist, as the restored configuration might not align with the current snapshot chain, potentially leading to data discrepancies or loss. However, if your VM was operating without dependent snapshots, the risk of restoring the VM configuration and disk files in this manner is minimal. Your consultant's caution likely stems from concerns over potential mismatches between the VM's state at backup and its state at the time of deletion, but it seems your restoration successfully mitigated such risks.

0 Kudos