VMware Cloud Community
hmaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dell SC1425 + Windows 2008 R2 64-bit

The server is 64-bit, but when I try to install Windows 2008 R2 64-bit as a guest, the install keeps telling me that 64-bit is not supported.

What do I need to do to make this work?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/102302/q-do-vmware-vsphere-and-esx-4-require-a-64-bit-proc...

A. Yes. The latest versions of ESX 4 and vSphere require a 64-bit processor. You also need a processor that supports hardware-assisted virtualization (AMD-V or Intel-VT) if you want to run 64-bit virtual machines (VMs). You can run 32-bit VMs without hardware-assisted virtualization, but you still need a 64-bit processor.

I don't think this processor has AMD-V or intel-vt support.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I love these little 1425's.

Turn it on in the bios.

It should say em64T for your processor in the bios.

0 Kudos
hmaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the A03 BIOS.

I press F2 to go to Setup. Then I go to CPU Information and I can't alter the settings, but it states that 64-bit is Enabled.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/102302/q-do-vmware-vsphere-and-esx-4-require-a-64-bit-proc...

A. Yes. The latest versions of ESX 4 and vSphere require a 64-bit processor. You also need a processor that supports hardware-assisted virtualization (AMD-V or Intel-VT) if you want to run 64-bit virtual machines (VMs). You can run 32-bit VMs without hardware-assisted virtualization, but you still need a 64-bit processor.

I don't think this processor has AMD-V or intel-vt support.

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

i think you could run 64 bit if you were running esx/i 3.5.

0 Kudos
hmaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

3.5 didn't work as well.

Sounds like the answer is that a Intel EM64T processor is not capable of running 64-bit hosts?

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need both EMT64 and VT to run 64bit VMs on Intel CPU based hosts. See Hardware and Firmware Requirements for 64-Bit Guest Operating Systems (1003945).

Also, if you did any changes to VT in the BIOS, you need to power off the computer. VT is not enabled until you do a cold boot.