VMware Cloud Community
Tewffik
Contributor
Contributor

Disassociate esxi host from vcenter

Hi all,

i just need to know if "Disassociate esxi host from vcenter" has no impact?

the vcenter used is evaluation version, installed 2 or 3 years ago, so the VM still exist but is not maintaining and not used for administration..it is absolutely abandoned for a long time.

So i need to delete it or power off.

But i receive the following warning when connecting directly to the ESXi host (see attached file) 

I know that there is option to Disassociate Host From vCenter Server in Host management.

i never did it, so is't the good way to do it, and is there any impact 

May be it's recommanded to powered off vcenter vm before doing it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pmichelli
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

1. Right click on the host and select : Connection -> Disconnect and wait
  2. Right click on the host and select Remove from Inventory

Obviously make sure there are no VMs running. Move them to another host if there are.

That's it. It will be removed from vCenter and when you login to it directly, you won't see that message that it is being managed

0 Kudos
Tewffik
Contributor
Contributor

Hello pmichelli,
Please, i don't understand "Obviously make sure there are no VMs running. Move them to another host if there are"
So if i disconnect esxi host from vcenter console, i will shutdown all its VMs??
I think the vcenter vm is unstable,even though it's on, and don't need to do it from vcenter
What about doing it from vsphere client and use "Disassociate esxi host from vcenter"
What are the prerequisites for this action to be successful
Sorry,my knowledge is very modest in vsphere

Thanks

0 Kudos
pmichelli
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I see what you're trying to do.  If I understand correctly :

You have one ESXi host that was running an evaluation version of vCenter and you want to get rid of it now

In that case, from vCenter you right click on the ESXi server and select Connection -> Disconnect

Once that finishes, right click on the ESXi host and select remove from inventory.

Then login to the web interface on the ESXi host directly and power off the vCenter VM

Once that is done you can delete it if you like and continue to manage the host and remaining VMs directly from ESXi

0 Kudos