VMware Cloud Community
amrsaeed
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 5.0 Hanging (Need Help With Logs)

We had a small scenario over the weekend that I need assistance with. We have an ESXI 5.0 that is running two VM's. Over the weekend the ESXI server hung but the console did not show any abnormal activity. A particular VM running on this ESXI server was inactive (nobody could connect to this VM running SharePoint App server) but the VM in VMsphere client showed running status.

The ESXI was not Pingable either. Reading different forums I found out that there are many Logs available in the "/var/logs" directory for different reporting purposes. Though I can see many Logs but can someone please point out which log FILE would have the information on ESXI hanging or some kind of abnormal activity that would cause the above issue. Basically I am looking for any information that can provide me with the status of reason and time the ESXI server was out for. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
akshunj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can try /var/log/vmkernel and then vmkernel1, vmkernel2 etc. Execute ls -lh in /var/log to see the logs.

Try less /var/log/vmkernel | grep error

and

/var/log/vmkernel | grep warning

0 Kudos