VMware Cloud Community
tadsmith
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 Custom Install CD with KS.CFG

I'm attempting to create an install CD with a custom embedded ks.cfg. I've created the ks.cfg and placed it on the root of the cd, and recreated the ISO. I've also edited the isolinux.cfg to allow for a scripted install option. However, each time I try to run the the CD, I get an error that the ks.cfg cannot be found. Any Ideas?

I've tried all of the following on my isolinux.cfg, but they each return an error

kernel mboot.c32

append vmkboot.gz ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg --- vmkernel.gz --- sys.vgz --- cim.vgz --- i

environ.vgz --- install.vgz

kernel mboot.c32

append vmkboot.gz ks=cdrom://ks.cfg --- vmkernel.gz --- sys.vgz --- cim.vgz --- i

kernel mboot.c32

append vmkboot.gz ks=cdrom --- vmkernel.gz --- sys.vgz --- cim.vgz --- i

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Is it a USB CD-ROM that you're using? http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2104

Have you tried using the file option?

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

Charly1601
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

we have the same problem. I checked it like tadsmith and

kernel mboot.c32 append vmkboot.gz ks=file:/ks.cfg --- vmkernel.gz --- sys.vgz --- cim.vgz --- i

and also with kernel mboot.c32 append vmkboot.gz ks=file://ks.cfg --- vmkernel.gz --- sys.vgz --- cim.vgz --- i

target is to boot a finally ready configured esxi Host only from CD for emergancy use in smaller location from our company.

It seems that the CD boot ist copying the data to a ramdisk and that devices like CD and USB are not connected when the system is booted in the yellow screen over the ramdisk. Otherwise the path or devicename is wrong.

Achim

0 Kudos
tadsmith
Contributor
Contributor

Dave - I'm guessing that it is the problem. I am testing on a IBM BladeCenter that has one shared cdrom. Unfortunately, that article appears to be written for ESX 3.x and doesn't seem to work on ESXi 4.1.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I had tried the CD-ROM option once during and it didn't work for me. You might just add an oem.tgz file, put the script in it and use the file option instead.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
vmwarehc
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problems. has anyone found a solution to this.

thanks

0 Kudos
tadsmith
Contributor
Contributor

It appears that the kickstart location on the CDROM or USB has to be specified in ALL CAPS. When the CD filesytem is mounted, all files/directories are mounted in ALLCAPS.

Working example :

append vmkboot.gz ks=cdrom:/KICKSTART/ESX02.CFG --- vmkernel.gz --- sys.vgz --- cim.vgz --- ienviron.vgz --- install.vgz

Thanks to Andrew () for the great post on this.

0 Kudos