VMware Cloud Community
TalKeaton
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4 not finding USB HD

Hey! Having a little trouble here, I was hoping to find some help. I'm trying to set up a system for virtualization using ESXi 4. I have it installed, but we're trying to put the partition and virtual machine onto a USB external hard drive. Trouble is, when I go into vSphere, it's not finding any USB storage devices. It finds USB keyboards and mice just fine, but USB storage doesn't show up at all. Does anyone have any idea why this happens and if/how I can fix it? Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

USB storage is not supported for direct access other than as a boot device for ESXi.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
TalKeaton
Contributor
Contributor

Super; that's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

Now I need to figure out how to make this work without them, haha...

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

USB just isn't fast enough to run much. There are some supported SATA controllers and if you are after external look for something with e-sata support. You can look at NFS storage devices. There are inexpensive network storage devices on the HCL. Look at iomega on the HCL.

0 Kudos
TalKeaton
Contributor
Contributor

The trouble here is that we already have our hardware, and it doesn't have ports for eSATA. We may just have to do some creative work to get it to do so.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at NFS storage. It is well supported by ESXi and simple to setup and use. Available from $100 to $50,000 and more.

0 Kudos
Bartmosss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Would it work with ESX 4 instead of ESXi.

If not,what is the purpose of the USB Controller?

MCP, A, Network, Linux+, VSP, VTSP, VCP

MCP, A+, Network+, Linux+, VSP, VTSP, VCP
0 Kudos