VMware Cloud Community
Clarkington
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.1 U1 does not recognize array off Adaptec 6805E (supported RAID Controller) - why?

Hello all,

I've built a new system with an Adaptec 6805E RAID controller with 6 3TB drives. My system also has a SATA (AHCI mode) CD Rom and HD. When I go to install ESXI 5.1 U1, the SATA HD shows up as a Storage Device however my array off the 6805E does not. If I then install 5.1 U1 on the HD, when I use the vSphere client and rescan for drives, the array off the 6805E does not show up.

The 6805E is listed as compatible with 5.1 U1 in the guide here: VMware Compatibility Guide: I/O Device Search

I've tried building the array to the size of 1.5 TB, 3TB, 4TB and 8.7TB.

Does anyone have suggestions? I can look at the various logs on the server if that would be helpful - I don't know what I should be looking at.

Thank you all so much in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OzerS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did u get this working?

If not as you found, card is supported but driver is async, that means you need to install the driver separately, its not in ISO.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Just to confirm, can you change the mode to Native or IDE instead of SATA (AHCI mode)

0 Kudos
OzerS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did u get this working?

If not as you found, card is supported but driver is async, that means you need to install the driver separately, its not in ISO.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks OzerS for pointing out.. @

Clarkington
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You guys were correct - I didn't understand the significance of "async" in the compatibility guide.

To be safe, I first downloaded and installed the latest version of the firmware on the 6805E.

I downloaded the driver from here: https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?productId=285&downloadGroup=DT-ESXI51-PMC-SIERRA-AACRAID-...

I then loaded that driver post-installation and confirmed it could see my raid.

Next, I went to http://www.v-front.de/p/esxi-customizer.html to create a customized install ISO with that driver. I used the .vib image from the drive zip I downloaded. When I used the new customized ISO, my array showed up perfectly.

Thanks again for all your help!

0 Kudos