Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.5 HCL for Supermicro server

Hi Everyone,

I am planning on buying a Supermicro server to run ESXi 5.5 on:

1027R-WRF

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/1027/SYS-1027R-WRF.cfm

However on the HCL it does not show ESXi 5.5 compatibility yet for this server. Is it because ESXi 5.5 is too new? It shows ESXi compatibility for ALL other versions.

Similarly, there are some Supermicro servers that ONLY show compatibility with ESXi 5.5. Like the

SYS-1027R-WRFT+

Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 1U | 1027R-WRFT+

AND

SYS-6017R-TDF

Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 1U | 6017R-TDF

But the difference between these servers (ESXi 5.5 and ESXi 5.1 servers) is almost negligible. Any advice?

Also how stable has everyone seen ESXi 5.5 be? I am planning on running 2xE5-2690v2 Processors so I want to use the ESXi 5.5 release so I am not limited to how many vCPUs I can allocate to my VMs. But reliability to me is also a concern since this release is so new. What would you recommend?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Its up to the hardware vendor to submit certification requests to VMware so the reason for not being on the HCL is not always that it does not work.

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Its up to the hardware vendor to submit certification requests to VMware so the reason for not being on the HCL is not always that it does not work.

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
socalasianguy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What about the reliability of ESXi 5.5? Do people use it in production environments? This is for an e-commerce environment so they are sensitive to downtime.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AlexanderCapald
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As a AMD system builder i can tell you that VMWare 5.5 update 1 installs on these motherboards, but you have to install 16GB or less ram during the install, then add more ram afterwards.

AMD Opteron™ Socket F Series Platform

Supermicro H8QME-2+

AMD Opteron™ 6000 Series Platform

Supermicro H8DG6

Supermicro H8DGI

Supermicro H8DG6-F

Supermicro H8DGI-F

0 Kudos
tobox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Does the "max 16GB during installation" problem also occur with ESXi 6? Is anybody running ESXi 6 on H8DG6 or similar?

Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos