UltimeServ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5u1 to 5.1 and VM version 9

Hi everyone,

I have a "little issue".

I successfully upgrade my ESXi 5 to 5.1 but I didn't find any sign of that:

"New virtual hardware. New virtual hardware. VSphere 5.1 introduces a new generation of virtual hardware with virtual machine hardware version 9"

Is this normal ?

BTW, all my VM "request" the VMware Tools update, so, this should the sign of the successfull upgrade.

Any idea on this one ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, only 64-bit editions of Windows 2003 and 2008 are supported (see http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/search.php?deviceCategory=software&testConfig=17) Anyway, instead of installing vCenter Server on Windows you can use the vCenter Server Appliance.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In order to upgrade to HW version 9 or create new VMs with HW version 9, you need to use the web client rather than the native Windows vSphere client.

André

UltimeServ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I suppose that the WebClient isn't available "just like that". We must install the vSphere on a 2008R2 server (for example) ?

Or is this accessible without vSphere installation ? if yes, how ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That's correct, the web client is only available with vCenter Server.

André

0 Kudos
UltimeServ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I will have to create a new VM so^^

Did you know if vCenter Server is now compatible with Windows Server 2012 ? (with the version 5.0, it wasn't working at all)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, only 64-bit editions of Windows 2003 and 2008 are supported (see http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/search.php?deviceCategory=software&testConfig=17) Anyway, instead of installing vCenter Server on Windows you can use the vCenter Server Appliance.

André

0 Kudos
UltimeServ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, Will see for that vCenter Server Appliance, sound like a good idea^^

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Andre

By using vsphere 5 web clinet Can we upgrade the Vmware tools and Hardware version of the virtual machines without having down time?

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unfortunately not. The HW upgrade requires a reboot and for VMware Tools you need to be at least on the current version to do a zero-downtime upgrade in the future.

from http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-what-is-new-vsphere51.pdf

Zero-downtime upgrade for VMware Tools – After you upgrade to the VMware Tools available with version 5.1, no reboots will be required for subsequent VMware Tools upgrades

André

0 Kudos
UltimeServ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Very well,

I just deploy the vCenter Server Appliance, working like a charm ! (just have to create an init file, to add a specific default GW, standard configuration doesn't support it^^).

Well again, thanks Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
jkp103
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I"m sorry but I don't believe web client is a requirement for upgrading virtual hardware, it can be done with a windows vsphere client. As soon as virtual machine is shut off there will be an upgrade virtual hardware option on right-click.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... it can be done with a windows vsphere client

Basically the Windows Client can be used to upgrade the HW version, but it does not allow an upgrade to HW version 9, this is only possible using the Web Client.

André

0 Kudos
kurtd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

André Pett wrote:

... it can be done with a windows vsphere client

Basically the Windows Client can be used to upgrade the HW version, but it does not allow an upgrade to HW version 9, this is only possible using the Web Client.

André

That doesn't seem true.  I have upgraded all my virtual machines from hardware 8 to hardware 9 using the Windows Client.  You just right click on it when it's powered off and choose to upgrade hardware version...  It's only when creating a new vm that you can't choose version 9.  You need to upgrade it after it's creation.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes you are right. Although it is not possible to create VM's with the new version, it is possible to upgrade them in a second step.

André

0 Kudos