VMware Cloud Community
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ESXi upgrade from 6.7 to 7.0 failed on libupgradepsadeviceconfig.so

Hey all,

I come across this strange issue that upgrades for ESXi 6.7 to 7.0 is failing on a few hosts with PSOD and the error being :

ptarnawski_0-1666188350724.png

libupgradepsadeviceconfig.so

After reboot, the rollback works, and the host is back on 6.7. 

Google is showing nothing regarding libupgradepsadeviceconfig.so , I found this KB, https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/76239 but this is a different module. 

I have NOT tried to run an upgrade from ISO directly nor rebuild hosts, as I am wondering what could the issue be here. 

Have you seen something like this? 

Visit my blog:AngrySysOps.com
YT: AngryAdminYoutube
Visit my:Xwitter

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

UPDATE FROM VMware:

A similar issue was reported to Engineering, but it required a hot-patch to resolve. However, there is a potential work-around:

First, upgrade the host to the ESXi 7.0 U1 (or any lower than 7.0 U1 build), after this, one should be able to upgrade to the desired ESXi build.

Or

Upgrade directly from ESXi host attaching ISO.

Closing the thread

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

UPDATE:

Upgrading directly from ISO works fine. 

The issue is still from Baseline

0 Kudos
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

UPDATE FROM VMware:

A similar issue was reported to Engineering, but it required a hot-patch to resolve. However, there is a potential work-around:

First, upgrade the host to the ESXi 7.0 U1 (or any lower than 7.0 U1 build), after this, one should be able to upgrade to the desired ESXi build.

Or

Upgrade directly from ESXi host attaching ISO.

Closing the thread

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

yeah great working solution

0 Kudos