VMware Cloud Community
WouterKoning
Contributor
Contributor

HP DL360G7 with ESX 4.1, errors in kernellog. Please help!

Hello Everyone,

I recently installed a HP DL360G7 server with VMWare ESX 4.1. The VMware installation appears to be working fine, but this morning I had to reset this server because it was not responding anymore. I took a look at the kernel log and noticed all kinds of SCSI errors. I have attached a screenshot from that moment. After the reset the server seems to be working fine, but now I noticed another message in the kernel log. "hpsa0: Device:C0:T0:L0 IllegalRequest."

This message appears every 5 minutes. So there are two issues I'm trying to figure out. 1. The crash which forced me to reset the server and 2. the IllegalRequest messages.

Hope anyone can help me with these issues. Thanks alot!

- Wouter Koning

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

i find follow kb. check if apply in your problem

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100343...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101729...

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
WouterKoning
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for this information. Specially this part from the first KB article:

2/0 0x5 0x4 0x3 - ILLEGAL REQUEST - LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY

The medium error and illegal request indicate that the LUN is not in a ready state. Manual intervention is required on the array to correct this issue.

Do you have any idea what kind of manual intervention might be needed?

- Wouter Koning

0 Kudos
P2Ver
Contributor
Contributor

HI Wouter,

I was wondering, how did you fixed this?

I have the same issue, and I cant figure out wether ESX means the CDROM or de disk with Device:C0:T0:L0.

(My cdrom is vmhba2:C0:T0:L0 and my LUN is vmhba0:C0:T0:L0.)

Every 5 minutes the vmkernel log screams:

Dec 8 10:28:15 esx01 vmkernel: 0:17:30:02.436 cpu7:4103)<4>hpsa0: Device:C0:T0:L0 IllegalRequest.

What does this mean and how to fix it?

Would be great to hear from you.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
WouterKoning
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There,

I am afraid I can't give you a straight answer. I ended up creating a ticket at HP. They said I could ignore this event, but could not give me a good answer as to why it occurs. My guess is that this is a driver issue, maybe its fixed in newer releases of ESX... i hope.

So, my server is still giving me this event every 5 minutes, but the server is stable an fast! Uptime is 2 months now without any other wierd events showing up in the kernel log.

You could try to create a ticket at HP as well, maybe now they have more knowlegde about this server with ESX 4.1.

Hope this is some useful information for you. Good luck!

Greetings,

Wouter

0 Kudos
P2Ver
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wouter,

I've searched some more and I found the following answer to this issue on another forum:

HP said the following about this driver issue:

Quote:

ESX is attempting to obtain the value to the parameter "QErr" for the LUN but it's not able to complete the request. If ESX can't obtain the value of a parameter using a "mode sense" to query the LUN it will use the system default parameter instead.

After that it successfully registers the LUN and continues with the process, this happens on LUNs connected to the P410i controller and the P410i hpsa driver is flagging this as an IllegalRequest.

This QErr parameter is new to ESX 4.1, and it's likely that it hasn't been added to the 'hpsa' or the 'cciss' drivers yet. As it's only a mode sense to obtain a LUN parameter it wouldn't be a high priority addition.

***The "IllegalRequest" logging is benign and can be ignored.

Once the drivers have the new parameter included and updated for ESX 4.1, the error logging issue will be fixed. However, NO ETA has been fixed for the updating the drivers.

This message appears every 5 minutes in the vmkernel log, but can be ignored. We just have to wait for the driver to be updated according to ESX 4.1.

I hope this will get all of us with the similar problem some rest:-)

0 Kudos