VMware Cloud Community
precisionsz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How many vm's can my Dell poweredge T110 run?

How many can my Dell Poweredge T110 run the specs are

Intel Xeon X3450 Processor (2.66 Ghz, 8MB Cache, 95W TDP, Turbo, HT), DDR3-1333Mhz

8GB Neniry (2x4GB Dual Rank UDIMMs) 1333Mhz

HD's 1x 250 GB 3x 1TB SATA

1x Intel PRO 1000PT GbE Port Server Adapter, Cu, PCIe x1

a friend sayd i can run only 2 VM's

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can look to one of the 2 CPU servers with 4 or 6 cores per CPU. Similar to your T110 would be the T410. Add the second CPU enough RAM and the hardware raid controller. You might want to have SAS disks rather than SATA and you are better with more smaller disks than fewer large disks for better performance.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It will depend on the resources requited by the Virtual Machines. You should be able to run a number of VMs without issue as long as you don't overload things.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware server is no longer supported especially version one. Whitch Virtualization technology are you wanting to run. ESXi is a bare metal hypervisor and is it's own operating system. VMware Workstation or Player run on top af a Linux or Windows operating system? I can move this discussion to a more appropriate forum when I know where to move it.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

as mentioned by DSTAVERT, it depends on the resource requirements of the VM's. However don't expect a good disk performance with SATA disks unless you also have a RAID controller with BBU (battery backed write cache).

André

PS: Forget my comment, I was thinking of the wrong product. Sorry.

precisionsz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i want to use VMware vSphere run the VM's with windows server 2003 with each 256 mb ram they are going to be used for game servers that wil be using each around 5-6% of cpu and 150 MB of RAM

I also did read in other posts that i   should be able to run 3-4 vm's each cpu ?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Moved to the ESXi forums.

Your resource estimates seem rather low for game servers but if that is the case then you should have no trouble running 3 or 4. The default RAID controller or any of the optional controllers would not be a good choices for ESXi. Most of them are software RAID controllers and would not be supported other than individual drives. Look into adding one of the hardware based RAID controllers with Battery Backed cache. With out the caching controller disk performance especially in a virtual environment will be very poor.

0 Kudos
precisionsz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what do i neend to upgrade (hardware) to run more VM's i wil be using ESXi

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A Perc hardware RAID controller with BBU would be the most important. The most inexpensive would be the Perc 5 or Perc 6 which are no longer sold by Dell but are available from online retailers. The H700 or above are current Dell RAID controllers but are much more expensive. To be useful they MUST have the battery and RAM cache modules. Beyond that there isn't much you can add other than RAM but I wouldn't add RAM unless it was necessary.

0 Kudos
precisionsz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok i wil get the raid card then

i had also another question im soon buying another server could you recommend me one that can run  15 VM's

thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can look to one of the 2 CPU servers with 4 or 6 cores per CPU. Similar to your T110 would be the T410. Add the second CPU enough RAM and the hardware raid controller. You might want to have SAS disks rather than SATA and you are better with more smaller disks than fewer large disks for better performance.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With 15 VM you can use probably 24 GB of RAM and a CPU with 6 cores (or 2 with 4 cores)

Of course it depens by your workloads.

But consider a good storage layer because a couple of SATA disks are not enough for this number of VM.

I suggest at least 4 SAS 15k disks and a good RAID controller.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
precisionsz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

the new server i was going to be buying would be a rack server 

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Bare minimum:

R410 with a single Intel Xeon 5650 2.66GHz CPU, 24GB RAM, Perc 6i controller and 4x300GB 15k SAS Drives in a RAID 5

That should get you around 15-20 VM's of a single vCPU each without absolutely killing the box.

Anything more then that and the local storage will probably start to overload

That would give you growth potential by adding external storage, an an additional CPU and you could upgrade ram too.

Depends on budget...list price on the website in CDN puts that config around 5k....

0 Kudos
precisionsz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i had also another question about my dell poweredge T110 can i use the 8 Threads Seperatly or should i not do that

0 Kudos