VMware Cloud Community
JohnHoge
Contributor
Contributor

How to update vmware esxi to 4.01

Hi,

I just downloaded esxi to test, and I noticed that there is an upgrade to 4.01, but I can't figure out how to do the upgrade. I did download the ESXi-4.0.0-1.9.208167-upgrade-release.zip file, but there is no readme.

Is this done through vSphere client?

John

0 Kudos
10 Replies
jordan57
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To upgrade ESXi the easiest way is to use the Host Update Utility that can installed with the Vsphere client. This is free and is very simple to use for your request.

VMware VCP - Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Blog: http://www.virtualizetips.com Twitter = @bsuhr
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
JohnHoge
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I went through those steps but got a strange error, as shown in the attached screen shot. For some reason it no longer likes my boot disk, which is funny because version 4.0 boots just fine.

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

John,

if you already have a version of ESXi 4.0 installed on the host, all you need to do is to add the host to the Update Utility, select the host, click search for patches... and then let the Utility patch the host.

The Update utility will display all updates available for the build you have currently installed on your host. Don't worry about that, leave all the patches checked.

The Upgrade button is just for updating from version 3.5.

André

0 Kudos
JohnHoge
Contributor
Contributor

Andre,

I was able to apply all of the patches with the host update utility, but it shows I'm still running 4.0.0 build 244038, which isn't the latest. I'd like to get to 4.0.1, not for any particular reason, but just so I can be sure I know how to do it before any mission critical apps are running on esxi.

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There is not newer patch available.

244038 came with ESXi400-201003001 on April, 1st.

André

0 Kudos
JohnHoge
Contributor
Contributor

Andre,

Thanks. I'm a bit new to VMWare, so pardon the newbie questions!

John

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

John,

no problem, you are welcome.

André

Please consider marking the thread as Answered and mark Correct and/or Helpful answers.

0 Kudos
HannaL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware does not change the release number for updates, that is all done at the build level. So ESX 4.0.0 build 208167 is ESX 4.0 Update1 (there is no such thing as ESX 4.0.1 although many people may use it to mean ESX 4.0 Update1 it can cause confusion). When you install patches that update the ESX vmkernel version then the ESX build number will change (see the title bar at the top of the Summary tab witht he host highlighted), the build number is listed in the patch kb. You can also look in the release notes for each update to verify your build version matches (or is higher than).

ESX 4.0 Update 1 | 19 Nov 2009 | Build 208167

Hope that helps ( you are not the only one with that question, don't worry).

Hanna

Hope that helps, Hanna --- BSCS, VCP2, VCP VI3, VCP vSphere, VCP 5 https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/vmware-support-ibm
0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

With all the latest updates applied (firmware and such), the build (for ESXi) changes to "4.0.0, 244038" Still the 4.0.0 designation... I believe the next slated (significant) update will be to 4.1... Will be interesting to see what the next major release will be...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos