VMware Cloud Community
Brad667
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't find the network functionality with vSphere Web Client 6.5 in an Evaluation configuration

I am using the trial evaluation licence to test vSphere, which I believe lets me access its full functionality.  I've installed ESXi 6.5 on a single hypervisor and vCenter Server 6.5 on a Windows VM running on that hypervisor.

Everything appears to be working fine except for one problem.  I would like to set up multiple standard switches, and examine the configuration of the current single default network used by my VMs, but I can' t figure out how to do this with vSphere Web Client.

For example, the section 'Create a vSphere Standard Switch' under 'Setting up Networking with vSphere Standard Switches' in the VMWare vSphere 6.5 documentation states the following procedure:

"1.  In the vSphere Web Client, navigate to the host.

2.  On the Configure tab, expand Networking and select Virtual Switches.

3.  Click Add host networking."

When I click on the host in vSphere Web Client - at the top of the hierarchy in the left column - and then click on the Configure tab I can't see any 'Networking' item mentioned .  Just 'Settings' and 'More', with some items in each, but nothing mentioning 'Networking'.

I can click on the Network tab for the Datacenter and the default 'VM Network' is displayed, but the available 'Actions' are only 'Move to', 'Tags & Custom Attributes'  and 'Add permissions'.  Nothing about adding/managing port groups, VLAN tagging, adding new networks/switches, etc.

Can anyone tell me how I can set up new Standard Switches, allocate port groups and use the other VMware networking functionality I've read about using vSphere Web Client 6.5?

Thanks, Brad.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Can you post screenshot which options you are choosing ? This should be straight forward as mentioned in documentation.

Select Host > Configuration > Networking > Virtual Switches > Add host networking.

pastedImage_0.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Can you post screenshot which options you are choosing ? This should be straight forward as mentioned in documentation.

Select Host > Configuration > Networking > Virtual Switches > Add host networking.

pastedImage_0.png

RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Are following the same mentioned on the pubs , it will work .

Please refer #   Create a vSphere Standard Switch

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
Brad667
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay, this is quite embarrassing ... I swear to you both that I'd followed the manual's steps *exactly* and couldn't find the 'Networking' item.

But I read your replies, closely scrutinised the picture that vijayrana968 had attached to his reply, tried to do the exact same thing ...

... and now it works exactly as advertised.

I must have had the root of the hierarchy, the vCenter Server, selected, rather than the ESXi host.  Although, honestly, I'd taken pains to follow those steps to the letter, several times, before making my post.  Really!  Smiley Happy

Anyway, it's working now.  Smiley Happy  Thank you vijayrana968 for your screenshot, that really helped.

Thank you both for your help.  Sorry for taking your time on what seems to have been a simple user error.  I guess I'm a command line type of bloke!  Smiley Happy