VMware Cloud Community
alinik
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Internet on the VMs

Hi,

I have a an issue about connecting the VMs on a host to Internet.

We have a vlan with DHCP which is configured to assign a specific IP address to a predefined MAC address. The range of IP addresses are limited so we can not define the MAC addresses of the virtual machines to the DHCP.

Now our ESXi hosts are connected to internet and connection works but the problem is how can I configure virtual machines to access to Internet when the DHCP will not assign them an IP address and DHCP will not accept the static IP address entered.

p.s. My VMs are on linux.

Thank you very much.

Ali

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If your intent is to allow the vm's to access the internet, you should be using some sort of proxy instead of direct route out to the world.  There are appliances that will do that for you, or you could run squid or something to do it as well.  That way, you can use private IP's instead, and go out using 1 IP instead.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If your intent is to allow the vm's to access the internet, you should be using some sort of proxy instead of direct route out to the world.  There are appliances that will do that for you, or you could run squid or something to do it as well.  That way, you can use private IP's instead, and go out using 1 IP instead.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos