VMware Cloud Community
jjohnston1127
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Microsoft Windows Server licensing questions from a VMware perspective?

Greetings,

Can someone point me to a Microsoft document or VMware whitepaper that contains the current stance on licensing Windows Server inside of VMs? I am trying to provide a customer with an accurate licensing model for deploying their datacenter inside of ESX.

I have read that Windows Server Enterprise contains licensing for 4 instances of VMs, but has to be all on the same host. I've also read that a Datacenter edition license supports unlimited VMs but is licensed per CPU.

Can someone please give me advice in what you do or have done previously? An official document would be great to provide the customer so I can convince them.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShaneWendel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You're wrong about that RParker.

Licensing for VMware’s ESX

If a server is running ESX as the virtualization technology, then Windows Server is not deployed as a host operating system in the physical OSE. However, a license is required for every instance running in a virtual OSE.

If you have assigned a single license of Windows Server Standard Edition to the server running ESX, then you may run one instance at a time of Windows Server Standard Edition.

If you have assigned a single license of Windows Server Enterprise Edition to the server running ESX, then you may run up to four instances at a time of Windows Server. You may not run a fifth instance under the same Enterprise Edition license since that right requires that the fifth instance be running hardware virtualization software and software managing and servicing the OSEs on the server.

By licensing each physical processor, Datacenter Edition permits unlimited running of instances in virtual OSEs, so licensing is dramatically simplified.

-

Shane Wendel, VCP

----------------- Shane Wendel VCP: vSphere 4 VCP: VI3 http://fatalsync.wordpress.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sounds like you have heard right. Check this MS link out for details for Windows 2008 technologies and this link for Windows 2003.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have read that Windows Server Enterprise contains licensing for 4 instances of VMs

Actually you have it wrong. Windows Server allows you to run 4 VM's IF you are using Microsoft Hyper Visor. Datacenter lets you run unlimited VM's, but NOT for 3rd party.

Can someone please give me advice in what you do or have done previously?

Bottom line is if you aren't using Windows virtualization hosts, VM's are treated just like ANY other physical machine, you have to license EACH one. Microsoft is getting killed in Virtualization space, and they want to encourage people to BUY their product to host THEIR VM's, it makes sense.. but only if you host it on their product.

0 Kudos
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Licensing tied to MS products only... I'm pretty sure it's any hypervisor based on assignment. Here's an excerpt from the first MS link I sent:

"Windows Server 2008 Enterprise and Windows Server 2008 Enterprise without Hyper-V - Each software license allows you to run, at any one time, four instances of the server software in four OSEs on one server. If all four instances you run are in virtual OSEs, you may also run an instance in the physical OSE solely to run hardware virtualization software, provide hardware virtualization services, or run software to manage and service OSEs on the licensed server. We refer to this in shorthand as 1+4."

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
0 Kudos
ShaneWendel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You're wrong about that RParker.

Licensing for VMware’s ESX

If a server is running ESX as the virtualization technology, then Windows Server is not deployed as a host operating system in the physical OSE. However, a license is required for every instance running in a virtual OSE.

If you have assigned a single license of Windows Server Standard Edition to the server running ESX, then you may run one instance at a time of Windows Server Standard Edition.

If you have assigned a single license of Windows Server Enterprise Edition to the server running ESX, then you may run up to four instances at a time of Windows Server. You may not run a fifth instance under the same Enterprise Edition license since that right requires that the fifth instance be running hardware virtualization software and software managing and servicing the OSEs on the server.

By licensing each physical processor, Datacenter Edition permits unlimited running of instances in virtual OSEs, so licensing is dramatically simplified.

-

Shane Wendel, VCP

----------------- Shane Wendel VCP: vSphere 4 VCP: VI3 http://fatalsync.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

excerpt

Key word: excerpt, read the WHOLE license agree, it's in the context of Hyper-V. There is no way MS is going to let you use their product on a 3rd party for free, it's used with THEIR Hyper V, that excerpt you found was talking about the VM's without Hyper Visor, but it's ASSUMED to be running UNDER Hyper Visor...

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OK, well that's very surprising, I am taking this to mean MS has all but abonded the VM game...

Well that's good, competition at its best... Not sure when this was changed, but I have the original document that CLEARLY outlines Hyper V as the host system, I am shocked they allow ESX licensing...

Still how much is an Enterprise license? Now how much is 4 Standard Licenses of Windows? Do the math, they are STILL getting more money.

ShaneWendel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Probably about the time that Vmware submitted to the SVVP. Enterprise Edition licenses are about 3.5x what a Standard Edition license.

Datacenter is the best bang for the buck if your environment is large enough. Enterprise is probably best as a starting point for a slow growth.

-

Shane Wendel, VCP

0 Kudos
jjohnston1127
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thank you gentlemen.

0 Kudos
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Remember that the MS license is based on assignment; essentially tying it to each VMware host. Here's a linkto a couple of cost comparison calculators MS created to help sort things out.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Remember that the MS license is based on assignment;

Yes, I see that now, thank you for that. Great info!

0 Kudos
demean0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Microsoft has a Windows Server Virtualization Calculator here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/hyperv-calculators.aspx

I know it says 'hyperv' in the link, but it does let you choose a "third party virtualization platform" and the total cost is the same for Hyper-V or third party.

Also, our Microsoft licensing rep from CDW said it doesn't matter which virtualization platform you use. In contrast to that, we have heard conflicting responses from VMware and other Microsoft reps.

If somoeone can get a definitive answer that would help all of us.

0 Kudos