VMware Cloud Community
brighamm
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse not fuctioning in guest OS with via vSphere on 4k monitor and firepro v7900

Using vSphere Client and ESXi 5.5. I have been searching for anything like this and have not seen anyone else with this problem.

When I open a vSphere console for any OS win7, win8, server8 or 12 I can not use the mouse to click on or select anything.  As I move the mouse within guest OS it changes from a hand pointer to an arrow pointer back to a hand pointer rapidly.  VMware tools is installed in all OS's.  Some times as I move the mouse the numlock light on the keyboard will flash on and off rapidly. 

Tried ESXi 5.5 on a Dell Poweredge 2850 III and a Dell T3500 with the same issue.

The mouse does work in full screen and on any other computer that I access guest OS from.

The only big difference between this computer a dell t5500 and any other workstation I use to access esxi is that it has a 4k Seiki Monitor and firepro v7900.  Resolution is set at 3840x2160 30hz.  Even though I knew it would not help I have tried a different mouse and keyboard.  No hub or kvm. When I moved resolution down to 1920x1080 I get the same results with mouse reacting to movement but no clicking on anything within guest OS.  Just uninstalled and reinstalled vSphere with same results. I'm not sure what to try next and am hoping someone has an idea of what is going on here.

Thanks

7 Replies
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do you have same problem when you are connected to guest OS by RDP?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
0 Kudos
brighamm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.  Just finished trying remote desktop and remote assistance and both function correctly with the mouse.

0 Kudos
sloeckle
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same exact issue. It drive me crazy. I have to reduce my resolution to 1920x1200 for the vsphere client to work.

0 Kudos
miking
Contributor
Contributor

We've been experiencing exactly the same problem on a number of our machines (using Dell P2815Q 4K monitors).

Have any of you guys found a solution or workaround?  (It's been driving us crazy)

0 Kudos
smidley
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here.  Using 4k resolution makes the mouse activity sporadic.  Not sure how to resolve this other than to lower resolution.

0 Kudos
datagutt
Contributor
Contributor

Enable "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in Compatibility settings. The Vsphere client will look weird afterwards (text sizes and such), but mouse will work in console.

Markvtamelen
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for sharing! The mouse/hand issue was driving me pretty nuts.

0 Kudos